Friday, November 20, 2009

R2 Day 44 - Recovery 4 Results

I bought a ice-cream maker yesterday to take back another of my staples from murderous corporations that will gladly sacrifice my health and the health of my children for more money. I watched Food Inc last week and it made me think of a thing I heard on the Counterpoint podcast about Black Swan theory a couple of weeks ago, which is about the impact of highly improbable events on systems. When you create an incredibly efficient system, such as the food industry in America and probably to a lesser extent everywhere else, it becomes more vulnerable to outside events because it is so dependent on everything working correctly. One thing messes up, then the whole system collapses because it depended on this one thing along with a million other one things. A virus worse than Swine flu or another crash and everything will hit the fan. By the way, it's common practice in rural China to store chicken cages above the pig stys because the pigs like the bird shit and it saves space. They reckon that if swine flu, which is highly contagious but not very lethal, ever joins up with bird flu, which is devastatingly lethal but really hard to transmit, this is where and how it is going to happen. It really makes you want to start filling up empty PET bottles with water and storing them in your garage. And when you watch shows like Food Inc, and you see governments doing the exact opposite of what is in the public's best interest because the people who give them money tell them to do it, holy shit. I really want to separate myself from Western systems as much as possible because they seem to be behaving so recklessly. It's like the space shuttle disaster when every time the shuttle didn't blow up on the launching pad that became the new norm. Of course I can't separate myself totally, but food is a good start.
So I have taken back bread, pizza, biscuits and cake, butter, and now ice-cream. Long way to go, but two out of three meals I had today, plus snacks and dessert, I made from scratch. Anyway, I bought it yesterday, and Will wanted to make grape ice-cream. He is obsessed with grape, which I have always disliked. You know that purple flavour shit. "Daddy, do you like grape?" "Will, I told you, I am not answering that question again. You've asked me a hundred times if I like grape." "So you like it?" "No, not really." "I like it." So he's all excited about making grape ice-cream, so we go to the supermarket and grab some grapes. I get the recipe out, peel the grapes, puree, egg yolks and sugar, add hot milk and cream, then the final step, pour it into the ice-cream maker bowl (which has been placed in the freezer for at least 18 hours). Fuck. I probably should have read through the instructions before I started. So to keep the whole experience of ice-cream making a positive one for Will and I, we drove down to Baskin Robbins and had a cup of grape ice-cream. He loved it.
So this afternoon when he got home from school we sat down and completed the job. The end result wasn't that sickly purple colour, but it had a purple tinge to it, and there were real actual bits of grape in it. Will was skeptical at first, but I tell you what, it was really nice! Much nicer than the shit we had yesterday. Victory!
I did Recovery 4 Results again today. I was flirting with the idea of doing Ab Ripper X after it, but nah. I don't feel any worse than I did yesterday, but i sure as hell don't feel any better. Cold plus hayfever. Yay. I think I'll go easy on the wekend too, and hopefully by Monday I'll be well enough to start bringing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment