Wednesday, November 11, 2009

R2 Day 34 - Cardio X

I did Cardio X today because I've done Kenpo X a lot recently, and I don't want to overdo it because it's very easy to get jaded about Kenpo X. Cardio X is no pushover and I really brought it. It did it without ventolin which was probably not a good idea because I was blowing up a little bit towards the end and it's not a pleasant feeling. I feels like I can't breathe deep or fast enough to get my breath back. I will have to have a puff before I do my more vigourous workouts, and restrict it to that. I left Ab Ripper X for tomorrow, which I will squeeze in sometime between work and my lesson with Nori, if he doesn't cancel again.
Yesterday I was reading an article giving advice to students of Japanese. This is tip 5.
"Tip #5: Don’t become a fossil.
Bad for dinos, bad for you. Fossilization basically means that despite continued contact with the language you experience a plateau, or in some cases, a decrease in your linguistic ability. Fossilization describes the phenomenon where a speaker after two years, doesn’t progress much from four.
What makes us fossils? I think it is probably either because of a lack of motivation at either a conscious or subconscious level because we somehow feel we have “learned enough” in the environments we find ourselves in. Prime candidates for early fossilization are people who use Japanese in a limited context: e.g. the one-partner speaker who learns their partner’s vocabulary and syntax (and their partner learns how to understand the speaker’s more-or-less comprehensible Japanese), or the bar meister who can exchange pleasantries and short anecdotes with their Japanese friends, but can’t function well in other situations (e.g. business contexts).
The key to not becoming a fossil is perhaps to lead a more dynamic life – push yourself at of your comfortable environment so you learn to speak, read, and write in varied contexts."
That's me. I am a fossil. I need to lead a more dynamic life, it says. Totally agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment