Monday, October 12, 2009

R2 Day 5 - Legs & Back

I think that I'm going to concentrate more on the exercise than my life and feelings in this blog during this second round of P90X. Talking about my life and Japan usually turns into a rant which does no good for no one.
A couple of things about yoga. I remember two months ago when I was at the end of P90X round 1 just how awesome I felt doing Yoga. It's probably the best gauge of where I am at fitness-wise. I felt really strong and flexible, and I really looked forward to the end bit when it gets tough, warrior 3 and the slow motion pushups and all that. Yesterday showed me what slacking off does to your fitness. In the two months since I finished round 1, I have done a couple of weeks of P90, and a month of Chalean Extreme. Basically half an hour a day of pretty easy exercise. Then I went to Australia and ate and drank like, not like a pig, but like I would have normally. Lots of beer, fish n chips, pizza, subway, Hungry Jacks. And bang. After a few days back on P90X I'm aching like a bitch, and my endurance has completely gone. I can do half a workout like I used to a few months ago, but then my energy and strength just goes. It is amazing how the body can adapt and adjust either way. Yesterday's Yoga was tough, but nowhere near as tough as it was in week 1 of the first round, and in a couple of weeks I'll be back where I was in July, with another 2 months to go. That is exciting.
Time is going to be a problem. Let's assume that a workout will take an hour and half out of my day, every day. That's workout and shower. I have to study for my Japanese test which is in 7 weeks. If I don't start now, and I mean today, I will definitely fail. So in other words, if I don't study now then I effectively choose to fail. I can hear the voice getting louder. "You can always do it again in July. You'll definitely pass then, so don't worry about it. Who knows, you might even pass this time!" So my voice is effectively telling me that I can get what I want even if I don't do the work required to get it. A big reason for doing things like P90X is to teach myself to take responsibility for myself, and do the hard work to achieve the things I want to achieve. How many times does that voice have to be wrong before I stop listening to it? Studying is another hour a day. I'll try to get it in at work, but we are pretty busy at the moment so I don't think I will be able to.
I want to rid my life of all of the stuff I don't need. Just pare it back. Now that the AFL season is over, I have only a few shows to watch. Mad Men, Californication, Real Time with Bill Maher, and Lost when it comes back on, and a movie here and there. That means that on some nights, there is no need for me to be sitting in front of the computer. If I find myself trawling through YouTube looking for people falling on their faces, I have to turn it off and do some study. What else. Get rid of all the shitty clothes I don't wear. Clean up the stuff that needs to be cleaned, do what needs to be done when it needs to be done.
I've got Legs & Back tonight. I don't care what Tony says, this is the Mother of all P90X workouts. The "X" in P90X. The Fucker. Just thinking about it now gives me simultaneous conflicting feelings. Ambivalent. Like Tony says about Ab Ripper X, "I hate it, but I love it". Exactly. Even though I said I wouldn't, I'll have a half serving of Black Powder tonight, just to give myself an extra boost, even if it is only psychological. Then tear it up! Lots of pullups tonight, and when I can't do anymore unaided, grab a chair and use the rest of the time to work on technique. When I finished P90X last time I could do 16 pullups before I couldn't do anymore. By the end of this round I want to be able to do 25.

Update: Kicked ass. 59 pull ups, which is about where I was in week 9 of round 1. I'd like to double that by the time I finish this round.

No comments:

Post a Comment