Thursday, October 15, 2009

My Trip To Australia

I haven't said much at all about my trip to Australia, so I thought I would. The flight to Singapore was fine, though there was a group of about 50 Indian people down the back of the plane, and it got a little funky down there, I can tell you. What's up with the B.O.? Singapore airport was awesome. I bought some Burger King (straight into it) and a Lacoste shirt. My first taste of non-Japanese customer service. The lady at the Lacoste store was busy talking to her friend the whole time I was in there buying a shirt, and it took her three goes of going out the back to find me the shirt in the size I wanted. I would get used to this kind of service during my trip. I think I'm going to write a book about Japanese customer service and why it just kicks ass. On the plane to Melbourne I sat next to a guy who plays golf all over the world and is a member of Kingston Heath, the second most beautiful spot on earth next to Royal Melbourne. I wondered that if I was a more outgoing and impressive man if he would have invited me for a round of golf there, but I'm not, and he didn't. He talked and talked, and at about 2 a.m. I put the earplugs in and grabbed a couple of hours.
I landed in Melbourne, got a phone and a car. Cold! Windy! Drove down to Mount Martha to see my sister and her family. It was great to see them. Had a nap, and a shower (the first of only three I would have the whole trip - and I still didn't smell as bad as those Indians!) and started to feel normal again.
The next morning I went for a run. It was really cold, and my legs got really itchy. Not sure why, but I'm sure it's a common problem. Then I was off to Mikka's for Grand Final day. I started drinking at about 1 and didn't stop. Got too drunk, really, and I can't remember going to St Kilda after the game, but I was there, and everyone had gone elsewhere while I was in the toilet. I looked around for them for a while, but decided to go home. The first taxi driver refused to drive me anywhere until I gave him money. I showed him the money in my wallet and told him that he would get the money when he provided me with a service, but he said no. "You give money now!" So I got out of the cab. Ah, Melbourne's taxi drivers. A fucking disgrace, really. The second guy drove me back to Mikka's, where I paid him. I forgot where Mikka had left the keys, so I sat in my car with the heater on and feel asleep. Woke up and for some reason couldn't find my wallet or phone and panicked, then found them in the back seat of the car after a half hour of hate. Found Mikka's keys a minute later, so that was a good minute. I was inside under a blanket having a coffee watching a replay of the Grand Final ten minutes later. Nice.
The next day I drove up to Gisborne to visit relatives, then on to Avoca to see Dad. Usual topics covered with Dad over a few beers. Avoca is a nice place. Stayed over and got up the next day to get back to Mikka's for lunch and to chill out a little after such a busy weekend.
Spent the next few days doing some shopping and walking around. Went into the city. My honest opinion about Melbourne? The action is going on everywhere except in the actual city. Swanston street and Flinders street are still shitty. It still seems like the city is where people go to work and homeless junkies go to bum smokes, and that's about all. Why else would you go there? Southbank looks incredible though.
Played golf with Brad. 78, good stuff. Chip-in bird on 10. Went to the movies and saw Inglorious Basterds, or however you spell it. Meh. Two old guys, like over 70, were sitting in front of me, and visibly flinched at every violent scene, while I just chuckled. Tarantino doesn't take many risks when you think about it. I wish he would make a conventional thriller or something instead of these silly horror slasher movies. Give me Danny Boyle or Michael Mann anyday.
Otherwise I just hung around and saw friends. I went back to my sister's for the weekend. We went out on their boat and put mum's ashes into the bay like she said she wanted us to. It was a beautiful day, and I'm open to offers if anyone wants to sell me a nice house down there really cheaply. Then back to Mikka's for the night then to the airport. I did nearly 1200 kms in nine days in the rental car! A lot of driving. While I was waiting for the flight I thought about the state I arrived in; fit, primed, clean (!) and the state I was leaving in; tired, disheveled, stinky. I thought about which was better, and became even more determined to do another round of P90X.
The flight back was uneventful. It was great to see Junko and the kids again, especially Will who beamed when he saw me and loves the snow dome with the tram that I bought him. He's not too sure about the Spiderman costume, but that's because he doesn't know who Spiderman is.
I have to go back every year if I'm going to live here successfully. After a year or so, I begin to miss Melbourne and my family and friends, and resent the people and things that are keeping me here, and I just become (even more of an) asshole. Next time I'll be bringing Will and maybe Junko and Jo Jo with me, so it'll be different, probably better. A great trip though, and I'm back here feeling good and positive and enjoying life.
Classic line from a chick at Oakleigh McDonalds when it took ages to get our order down at the drivethru. "Sorry about that. I was serving another customer while I was serving you." That'll go in my book for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment