Monday, March 15, 2010

Yoga

I've been reading up on these exertion headaches I've been getting, and the main consensus is that they are caused by tight neck and shoulder muscles, poor hydration, and just generally overdoing it. I drink plenty of water during the day, but the other two are probably right. So over the weekend I really tried to relax and calm down, which is harder than it sounds. But I did yoga both days, really concentrating on my breathing and form, and it was great. I have kind of dropped off the yoga recently because whenever it was scheduled it was too easy to write off because I was tired or busy or whatever. I have to remember just how awesome and hard and rewarding it is, and try to do it as much as I can. I'm going to rotate the One on One with Tony Fountain of Youth yoga and Patience Hummingbird and X Stretch for a couple of weeks, then really unwind in Hawaii, and then when I get back take a couple days off, and then if I'm feeling better and stronger get stuck into another round for the Summer. Hopefully it will have sorted itself out by then.
So I had a nice weekend, lots of time with the boys. Yesterday we went to the Kariya Highway Oasis. It's a park next to an expressway. Sounds crap, but actually it's okay. Will had so much fun playing with his friend who is a girl Kurumi-chan. He threw a tantrum at the end, but later we both acknowledged that it was just because he was tired.
The Japanese lesson on Saturday was a little disappointing. The teacher talked almost the whole time. I can't really complain because he's a volunteer, but if I was a paying customer I would certainly have a word with the staff. When I was teaching I was able to do a 50 minute lesson with only about 5 minutes TTT (teacher talking time - yes, there's an acronym). My dream was to have a deck of five or ten cards I could show the students so I wouldn't have to talk at all. Stuff like "Ask him ->" and "What do you think?". I never got around to it, but I could have, easily. And the students would have left my class thinking, fuck that was hard, but boy did I talk a lot! But this guy talked for forty minutes straight, then we had a break, and then another thirty, occasionally asking questions. My theory was, I'm an English teacher in Japan. What the fuck do I know? In my prime I could walk into a room with five students, sit down, and wait patiently for them to say something. I would not say a word. One guy who I worked with used to walk into a room of Japanese students with tape over his mouth. Once it took 17 minutes for someone to ask him a question. They all just sat there. If you don't believe me, you haven't taught English in Japan. Japanese people are quite comfortable sitting in silence with other people for as long as they need to, while us Westerners shit out pants if no-one's said anything for five seconds. It's quite a skill. Often, if I'm stuck somewhere with someone, say, an elevator or a waiting room, I'll feel the pressure. Then I think, hang on, I don't have to say anything. It's cool. But my teacher for some reason feels like he has to teach us about Japan as a whole, not just the language. He's a nice guy, and what he talks about is interesting and informative, but I don't go to listen to him. I go so he can listen to me and correct me when I make mistakes. Still, I no complain. Better than nothing.

2 comments:

  1. Haha... ah teaching English in Japan. I worked with JET for the two years I was there and I absolutely REFUSED to speak a lick of Japanese while working in my school (even to the staff). I figured everyone here can speak Japanese and I'm the only foreigner. You aren't paying me so I can learn your language, you're paying to learn mine. So if you approach me, you best bring the ENGLISH! Scared the shit out of a lot of the students and staff, and I'm sure a good number of them just hated me for it. This crazy gaijin just goes up to them and starts asking about their day in English and *won't* leave them alone until he gets at least a basic answer like "I'm fine thank you." Having said that, there were a lot of students willing to also just come up to me and have broken conversations about anything (food, religion, sex [?}) which was great. Figure a broken attempt at conversation is better than no conversation.

    Haha... IN YOUR FACE JAPAN!

    Hope your neck gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man,

    Saw your comment on my blog... my wife and I taught in Mutsu-shi in Amori Ken. It was an awesome experience and paid well (that was the one of the key reasons we went over... I had just left my old teaching job, went back to school and then found myself unemployed... going to Japan was always a dream and since Canada and Japan have a good trade relationship [i.e. no taxes on salaries earned in Japan] we decided to go). My wife was on sabbatical from her teaching job and so we could only stay 2 years. Still, it was fairly easy to get into JET because of our work experience... but man, what an easy job. I taught 2nd level high school and she worked at a board office being ferried around to different schools as needed (she hated being in the board office... those days were always boring as shit and they had make=work projects just to make it look like she was busy). The easiness of work, the good pay... I understand why so many young people were trying to get in... seemed they were more interested in getting laid than actually teaching though. In many ways I think the Japanese government was ripping itself off hiring foreigners cause they literally did dick all in some of their posts. I myself found somedays just scrounging around the school looking to be busy with something.. anything! Still, I'd love to go back if I could... but with a baby in my hands now... it will be a looong time before we return to the land of the rising sun.

    Oops sorry that was a long winded, rambling reply. Peace!

    Ninja

    ReplyDelete