Monday, March 29, 2010

Round 3: Day 5 - Rest

It seems that as soon as I wake to go to work recently I have a headache. It's a day to day thing now. Every Spring I get them for a month or so. It gives me the shits. I was okay on the weekend, though last night I could feel one coming on, and today it hurts. I might try to go to the doctors and seeing what he says.
I have changed my type of canned coffee. It's still Boss, but it's no-sugar. I'm reading the can. It is called "Amakunai Ore" coffee which means "not-sweet Au Lait". But amai, sweet, also means to be indulgent, or kind of spoilt. It's a pretty common word here, and according to some psychologists, the key to understanding the Japanese personality.
Anyway, the "Au Lait" in Japanese is written as "ore", which is also the male informal word for "me", or "I". So it's called "not-sweet Au Lait", but also something like "I'm no pushover".
How can the same sentence have two such different meanings?
Swans got beat on Saturday. St Kilda where just too good. Sometimes I feel that Sydney work too hard for their losses. We never get thrashed, so we always have our chances, which means we are always playing %100. We never have easy loses. Goodes played really well, and so did Grundy, and it was great to see Kennelly back, though his faceplant in the last quarter made me feel sick. Welcome back to AFL, where a guy can just smash into the back of you and ram your face hard enough into the ground to break your nose. But I feel like our second tier players, Ted Williams, Ryce Shaw, Marty Mattner, those guys, who are good when the pressure is off, are always going to give it up when it matters. They did all last year, and will this year too. I suppose there just aren't enough good players around to fill a team with them. But Geelong and St Kilda's second tier are better then ours. Bottom line.
Workouts going well. Thankfully my head was fine when I did them, or they would have sucked. I've got my rest day, and then Legs & Back tomorrow. The hotel I'm staying at in Hawaii has a sports gym apparently, so I might do a workout or two while I'm there. It's funny, I've been checking online reviews of the hotel we are staying at, the Pacific Beach Hotel, and they are so wildly varied. Some people say it's the best hotel ever, the only one they'd stay in, and others hated it, worst hotel ever. It must be infuriating to actually run one of these places. The hotel we stayed at last time was good, except the breakfast was utter shit. Stuff like donuts, pastry shit in batter, warm greasy pancakes, and everything wrapped in plastic or in polystyrene boxes. I wept for the Earth seeing the bins full of this shit every morning. "Best breakfasts ever!" someone wrote in the review of that hotel. Amazing.
Actually, one of my missions this time in Hawaii is to find a place that sells better food that Burger King, which topped the list last time. I had some awful food while I was there. We went to a buffet, and I saw they had roast beef. Roast beef! I hadn't eaten roast beef for maybe a year or so. I went over and the chef sliced me a piece of the sickest, greyest, ugliest roast beef you've ever seen, and slapped it on my plate. I took one mouthful and spat it out. "How was your meal?" asked the waiter at the end of the night. "Very ordinary" I said. He smiled, probably not listening. It cost $80 for two adults and a 3 year old kid. We'll see how we go this time.
Speaking of food, I think I cured myself of Yakiniku on Friday night. I am pretty close to vomiting now just thinking about it. We went out for dinner on Friday night for Jo-kun's birthday, and we ordered too much meat. Yakiniku is when they bring you a plate of raw meat and you cook it yourself on the griller in the middle of the table. I ate too much, and I was bringing it up all night, reflux, I think it's called. The thing is when you go to one of these places, your hair smells like meat, your clothes smell like meat, and when you eat too much you can still smell it when you go home. it turns you off severely. There is a bit of a stomach bug going around, and I've caught a bit of it, so my appetite is way down.
Are you watching Jamie Oliver in America? He's doing what he did in England about school lunches. A great show. It's amazing the resistance he's up against when all he wants to do is feed the kids better food. People look at him like he's a madman. Mind you, try telling a Japanese person that eating a bowl of rice with every meal is probably not very good for you, and they think you are crazy. Every day at lunch I order a small rice by saying "komori", but the person at the counter thinks I've said "omori" which means large size because that's what everyone says, and they start piling mounds of rice into the bowl. Every time! I have to say "KOmori!", and then as soon as they start piling the rice in I'm ready. "KOMORI!" They look up in shock, see a foreigner, which explains the anomaly of someone wanting LESS rice, and then start shoveling the rice back out of the bowl, muttering something. But you'd think it would be easier to argue that kids shouldn't be eating pizza for breakfast, but apparently not.

No comments:

Post a Comment