Thursday, March 25, 2010

Round 3: With A Vengeance- Day 1

Springtime is here, though it has rained for three days straight here. Time for a new round. What I've done this time is broken the 90 days into three blocks. But wait. What I've done then is break up each block into two two-week long blocks. That's the genius of it. I do four days of workouts, then take a rest day. Then I do three days, then a rest. Then four days, then a rest. That's fourteen days. Repeat, and there's a block. The first fourteen days look like this.
Insanity Plyometric Cardio Circuit
P90X Chest & Back
One on One Killer Abs
P90X Shoulders & Arms
Rest
P90X Legs & Back
One on One Fountain Of Youth Yoga
P90 Master Cardio Intervals
Rest
P90X Chest, Shoulders & Triceps
Insanity Cardio Power & Resistance
Insanity Insane Abs
P90X Back & Biceps
Rest
That's basically the pattern for the whole three months. Not as strenuous as a normal P90X or Insanity program, but nearly. One extra rest day every two weeks, and a couple of easier days thrown in there too. This round is called "Round 3 - With A Vengeance", or just "Round 3" for short. The "With A Vengeance" is because the last two attempts I've had at Round 3 have had to be aborted because of illness. This time I'm playing to win.
Footy starts this week. Richmond and Carlton tonight. Remember last year when Carlton destroyed Richmond's season in the first half of the first game of the year? Do we dare wish the same thing happen again?
Swans, meanwhile, had their slump last year, finishing 10th or something, and this year we will be back in the finals where we belong. No dramas there.
I had my morning speech yesterday. I talked about a problem gripping the nation, much like health care has in America and racism in my home city Melbourne. The quietness of hybrid cars, and how to let pedestrians know that there's one behind them. Yes, there's a growing fear in the narrow streets of urban Japan. The hybrid. Imagine walking down the street, perhaps texting or chatting to a friend, oblivious to the world around you, only to turn around and discover a Prius waiting patiently for an opportunity to pass you. How long have they been waiting? you wonder. I have been extremely rude without even realising it. And what about the poor driver? Oh dear, what should I do? If I toot my horn, I will frighten them. I will just have to wait patiently. The best thing to do would be to roll down my window and say "excuse me," but it is cold/hot outside, and I would be uncomfortable for a moment. Oh dear.
I'm sure some company somewhere has come up with an alternative to the horn that you can put in your hybrid car that sounds a pleasant little melody to alert pedestrians. But anyway, the gist of my speech was that sometimes new technology presents problems that cannot be predicted. The boss loved it because he drives a Prius, and I don't have to do another morning speech for a month or so. You beauty.
Nori's omiai went okay, he said. The girl is plain-looking, and didn't have big tits, which disappointed him. He said that his uncle not supplying him with a photograph was a mistake, because it just built up expectations. She is a really nice girl though, he said, and they have become text friends, and he said he will probably marry her(!). His mother is putting a lot of pressure on him to get married, he said, and he wants to make her happy/shut her up. Anyway, he has a couple of months to find someone better before "crunch time" (a phrase I taught him last night) when the decision has to be made.
Look at it this way. The worst thing that can happen is that he will have a nice wife who will cook and clean for him and his mother, and bear and raise his children. That's the way it is here. Most people get married because it's expected of them, and most husbands and wives like each other, but have their own lives and hobbies, and their marriages are based more on a benefit/obligation balance. The woman keeps the home, cooks the meals, does the laundry, and gets to spend the money the man earns on shopping or coffee and cake with friends and trips without question. The man goes to work, gets the money and gives it to the wife, and gets to have their food cooked, their clothes cleaned etc, and the occasional raucous evening with friends in a bar or club, no questions asked. I would like to say things are changing, but this is Japan. And besides, is it much different in your country? Who cooks your meals? Who cleans your clothes? Who raises your children? Who pays for your coffee and cake?
Anyway, his new car is really nice. Subaru Outback. His boss is a little upset that he didn't buy a Toyota, seeing as though he works for Toyota and they are in the shit, but like Nori said, why would he? He's not crazy.
Here's a picture of the T-shirt I was taking about the other day. You be the judge.

And here's a picture of my handsome boy and his new haircut.

Go Tigers! (That's for you, Stevie and Shannon.)

2 comments:

  1. Alright, the t-shirt is bad. Is it a poker card? Will and Josh could pass almost as twins!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really interesting schedule man. I will probably transition to something like that after this Hybrid round I am on as I would like an extra rest day too during the week.

    As for your friend, good on him. At least she didn't have like an extra arm or anything. And who knows, maybe they can learn to love each other. There are far worse things I guess than arranged marriages(like abusive relationships).

    Good luck with the new program!

    ReplyDelete