Thursday, March 4, 2010

3Resurrection - Day 18. Insanity Plyometric Cardio Circuit, ARX

I really enjoyed the 30-15 workout. It’s push ups, then pull ups, 12 times each. For the first half of the workout I did 15-8 – 15 push ups then 8 pull ups. For the second half I did 15 – 5. So that means in total I did 180 push ups and 78 pull ups. The pull ups were all I could do, but I could have done more push ups. Next time I’ll try doing 20 a set. I only did about half of what Tony does in this workout, which is just unbelievable. He’s fifty years old for god’s sake. He’s in good form in this workout, too. Funny.
I saw Nori last night. He’s excited because he picks up his new car tomorrow, a Subaru Outback, and then on Saturday he’s got an Omiai, which is like a formal meeting for a potential marriage. It’s kind of like arranged marriage, but only if the two people who are going to get married actually want to get married. An uncle of his who lives in Tokyo lives next to a woman with a daughter, and they are all coming down to Okazaki to have lunch with Nori and his mother. The pressure on people to get married here is pretty strong, especially when that person is not a weirdo pedophile cartoon loving freak. Nori has a great job at Toyota, nice guy, 35 years old, so of course he must get married. She’s 27. That’s all he knows about her. He asked his uncle to send him a picture of her, but his uncle said, looks aren’t important. It’s how you get along that’s the main thing. Not a good sign. We talked about what he should do if they don’t really get along. He said he would alright if that happens, but his uncle has to live next door to them forever, so he doesn’t want to make it tough for him. I gather that if they get along, then the odds are they would get married. Not a bad way to do things, I guess. So they are going to a nice Chinese restaurant for lunch, the five of them, and then Nori is going to take her for a drive in the mountains and have a coffee at a coffee shop up there somewhere, and get to know her. Then I think they go back to Tokyo that night, and then the phone calls begin. What did she think? What did he think? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Hey man,

    Still reading your blog... still getting a kick out of your adventures in Japan. As for the semi-arrange marriage, that's crazy. In all the time I lived in Japan (admittedly only two years) I'd never heard of that. But I do know though that after a certain age women especially are under TREMENDOUS pressure from their parents to get married there (I learned this from all my female co-workers). I don't know... if he digs her great. Hopefully he can stand to look at her... that "looks don't matter thing" is foreboding. Hopefully, she doesn't have crazy teeth. I'd sometimes meet such beautiful girls in Japan and then they'd smile and it'd be like OH SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHARK LADY!!

    Yeah... peace out. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete