Tuesday, January 26, 2010

R3 Day 5 - Legs & Back

Did you know that Tiger Woods was on Eric Harris' hate list? Probably a little redundant when you consider that "Mankind" was on it too. Not the wrestler, but everyone living. Guy was a hater, that's for sure.
Today is Australia Day, the one day of the year when we Aussies tell each other how wonderful Australia is and, just between you and me, how great we Australians are. And also how wonderful it is that we don't need to keep saying it every day of the year like the Americans do, but just this one day. Because too much is just unsavoury, and you really only need to say it once. See how restrained we are? Isn't that wonderful too?
One experience I had a couple of years ago shocked me, and crystallized the feeling I get when I come home to Australia. Late at night, driving home, I fancied a Big M. I stopped at a petrol station, lights are on, it's open. I park the car and go to walk through the doors, but they don't open and I walk into them. So I'm standing there waiting for the doors to open when I here a voice. "What do you want?" It's the attendant, a middle eastern guy talking though a little hatch in the glass/plastic wall over where the counter is. "Are you open?" I ask. "Yes, but you can't come in." "Why not?" "Security." I was speechless. "What do you want?" the guy asked again. "I just want a Big M," I said. "What kind?" he asked. "Um, a small Strawberry." "Ok. Wait there." So they guy closes the little hatch and goes to get my Big M. He comes back with a large chocolate. "I said a small strawberry." "I know, but there weren't any. That's $4.20." Holy shit! $4.20? "$4.20?" I ask, stunned at how much Big Ms are now. The guy shrugs, and sticks his hand out of the hatch, palm up. "Sorry, mate," I said, and got back in my car.
I feel like a criminal when I'm in Melbourne. I feel like the moment I stop behaving, I will be photographed and fined. This is the billboard that greeted me as I drove from the airport the last time I was home that basically said as much.
But I'm not doing anything wrong!

I dunno. Maybe I get a little paranoid being around so many sloppy white people, any one of whom could be a criminal just like me. Australia is a nasty little place a lot of the time. After a couple of weeks of seeing my friends and buying some stuff I get pretty keen to leave it. I probably just miss Junko and the kids.
Legs & Back was great last night, surprisingly. I let the video run from start to finish without stopping it to do more pull ups. I did as many as I could consecutively, and that was it. Therefore, numbers are way down, but I didn't want to overdo it. 70 altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment