Monday, January 25, 2010

R3 Day 4 - Insanity Cardio Power & Resistance, ARX

Back at work after four days off. The last four day weekend for a while, I'm guessing. Back to five-day weeks like everyone else. Until the next time America shits itself, anyway.
Insanity is hard! I've been pacing myself, more interested in getting through it than really going for it. I haven't been able to, but I got close today. It's good because it reminds me of the first time I did Plyo and all I wanted to do was to get to a level of fitness where I was able to do it without having to take a break, and maybe even one day smash it. I'm at that level now, but then Insanity comes along and presents another challenge. I have been a little wheezy this week, which doesn't help, but it is tough. I do think that I'll be able to get through them in a couple of weeks, and then I can work on the intensity. I've got Legs & Back tomorrow, which I'm not looking forward to. But I do have an appointment with the chiropractor on Saturday, which I am looking forward to.
I'm reading Columbine, by Dave Cullen at the moment. Can you remember when this happened? I can't, really. I remember seeing that guy climbing out the window on TV, but that's about it. It seems to blend into every other school shooting that happened before and has happened since, and there have been a lot of them. The thing with Columbine, Eric (the REALLY evil one, if you had to choose) built a bomb and placed it in the cafeteria with the aim of bringing the roof down on eight hundred kids as they ate their lunch. It wasn't really meant to be a shooting at all. It was meant to be the biggest terrorist bombing in America's history, eclipsing Oklahoma. They planted the bomb in the cafeteria, then took positions outside so they could pick off survivors as they staggered outside. They wanted to kill a thousand students. Only when they realised the bomb hadn't gone off did they go inside and start shooting. And by that time, most of the kids had eaten lunch and where hanging out outside or off campus. Do you remember how deserted the school buildings were at lunchtime? Just a few kids here and there, reading or catching up on homework or something. Eric wanted to kill, and Dylan wanted to die. I guess they accommodated each other. Such a strange thing for two kids to do, and the way they did it, joking around, stupid gung-ho one-liners as they picked people off, like "Do you believe in God?", "Who wants to die next?", or "Peekaboo!". Incredible that they actually went ahead and did it. How could you actually go ahead and do it? They both decided they were going to commit suicide, but before that would try and kill as many people as possible, and live out this fantasy. That movie Elephant captures it perfectly , when the Eric character says to Dylan just before they get started, "And remember, have some fun out there, okay?" I'm sure a lot of kids have fantasies about shooting their school up, maybe they even plan it so they feel like they have some power over their situation, but to actually do it? Holy shit. A really good book. Eric and Dylan left a lot of stuff behind, like diaries and videos and stuff, alot of which the police won't release. The Basement Tapes, they're called. You can't help but think that if they were doing it these days, they'd have a million subscribers to their Youtube channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment