Saturday, February 20, 2010

Tiger

Anyone who knows me knows there is no bigger Tiger fan than me. He has meant so much to me the last ten to fifteen years, made me feel lucky to be alive.
Does he owe me anything?
That's the question I keep coming back to. And I have to answer that he does, because I feel betrayed by what he has done. Honestly, I feel humiliated. Only a fraction of what his wife is feeling, of course, but there it is. I'm a fan. I hoped my son would possess the same qualities as Tiger seemed to have. Dedication, discipline, a fearless heart. If it was just golf, then fine. But here was the greatest athlete in the world playing my sport better than anyone thought it could be played, and to top it off he seemed so... what? Square? Trustworthy? Dependable?
Your speech was fine. You seemed genuinely sorry. To admit your mistakes in front of your friends and mother (who looked really pissed off the whole time) took guts. Probably more guts than if you did it in front of the press.
Your foundation? Could not care less. Your wife? Yea, she's great, Tiger. And if she had any sense she'd never have anything to do with you ever again. But that two year non-divorce contract is probably too good to refuse. The paparazzi? They took a photo of your mother going shopping. So what? And the Buddhism? Spare me. I live in a Buddhist country, and there's seemingly only one commandment in Buddhism; you can doing anything if you don't get caught.
But you got caught. And only then did you think about what you had done.
When are you going to play golf again? I thought you were going to answer that question.
Anyway. Basically it was "I'm sorry. Leave me alone." Okay.
The irony is, after ten years of the greatest ever golfer, golf is in a terrible state, and it looks like 2010 will be disastrous. Golf put all it's eggs into Tiger's basket too, and now they're all broken and we are left with Steve Stricker and Jim Furyk.

No comments:

Post a Comment