Monday, July 27, 2009

Two To Go!

I've got Cardio X tonight, and then Yoga tomorrow, and the that's it! Done.
It's been a long journey, and the last couple of weeks have been especially long. Insightful though. Last week I think I had X Stretch, which is an hour long. It's an optional rest day, but I have always done the Stretch and never taken a rest day. I like the Stretch and I'm always glad I did it after I do it. So I'm walking down to the garage thinking, aw man, an hour. I'm really tired, and I'd love to just sit down and watch TV for a while blah blah blah. That voice that we all know so well. So I agreed and turned around and went back up the steps. Before I got to the top I thought, hang on, you've got all the gear in your hands, you were walking down the steps, and then suddenly you just stop and turn around and don't do it? What's up with that? Just fucking do it! (there's that phrase again). So I turned around again and went down into the garage and did it. That has happened three or four times this month. It's just my body being worn out, and my mind representing it. Each time, I have woken up to it and shut it up and turned it around. I could have just listened to the voice and be watching TV thinking oh well, that's a shame, but like the voice says, I deserve a day off blah blah blah. Once you get used to hearing that voice and slapping it down, it gets weaker and weaker. I am worn out, and I do deserve a break, and I get one in a couple of days when P90X is finished, and man am I looking forward to it.
It is hard to believe I have done it. It seemed so daunting at the start. The P90 workouts that I started in September were like 40 minutes long. Then the ones in P90 Master were 50 minutes. P90X workouts are mostly 1 hour long, and then there's Ab Ripper X stuck on the end of three of them so that's another 15 minutes. It is a massive time commitment. I have been lucky that the whole time I've been doing P90X I've had three day work weeks. On four out of the seven days I could do it whenever I wanted. That was lucky. Having a 5 or 6 day a week job and doing P90X would be tough. Often it was so discouraging to press play and start warming up to see something like 58:23 left on the clock. Oh man, an hour. And then Ab Ripper X! NOOO! Especially during the last few weeks when it has been so hot. Towards the end I got a little less resistant to taking breaks during the workouts because of the heat, especially in the resistance workouts.
The videos themselves are great. Tony is the man, and somehow he didn't get annoying after almost 10 months of doing his videos. It's all high-quality stuff, and I wish I could have the chance to buy some of the gear and supplements they sell over the internet, but they don't ship to Japan. I kind of feel like I owe them some money after downloading all their stuff for free. Hah! Kind of.
One thing I would do different, and I've talked about it heaps, is food. I never wanted to get 'cut', that real muscley thin-skinned look, so the diet isn't really for me. But I could have eaten better, and more! Many times, especially since I've had so many days off work, I've gone too long without eating. When you get hungry your body starts to be on the look-out for high-calorie crap, and it's so easy to down a piece of cake or a pack of chips. But I was hungry too often, and I should have bothered to prepare some kind of healthy snack each day. I'm hungry now, dammit! Also, I couldn't give up the coffee. Those cans of coffee are too nice, too sweet. I'm still on two, three a day. The chips have kind of fallen away, although if there's something I really want to watch, I'll go down the shop and buy some. Maybe once a week. I ran out of protein shake last week and haven't bothered to buy any more. I do loves me some protein shake though, even though it makes my sweat stink like ammonia (not pleasant). My theory is that it is the Chocolate flavoured shake. I'll experiment when I start up again. Apart from that, I didn't really change anything about my diet. Next time I'll pay more attention to it. 'Next time' will be a hybrid workout schedule with a mix of P90X, P90X+, and One on One with Tony, and will start around the beginning of September. Or I could go and buy a fan for the garage and start earlier. We'll see how I feel after a couple of weeks doing nothing. I'm sure I'll be pretty restless by then.
The anniversary of mum's death is next week, the 3rd. I know she would be proud of me, so that's nice. I'm thinking about coming home for a week or so in September for the Grand Final, because that's the day I feel most homesick, and I know I'm going to land at the airport and drive half way to Bayswater before I realize that she's not there any more. That might be a tough moment. Oakleigh's about half way, isn't it? I'll just pull in and visit Mikka!
I watched Bruno on the weekend. Funny, funny movie. I don't know why, but the bit that made me laugh the most was when he was riding the scooter with OJ. Not checking traffic was the sealer for me. I'm also watching Terminator Salvation. Meh. The action's good, but what's with the macho bullshit? I'm looking forward to The Road. If it's anything like the book, here's a movie that has a hero who, when faced with an apocalyptic landscape and cannibals who want to eat his son, actually seems a little concerned about it all. Not this too-cool-for-school attitude that Christian Bale and Denzel Washington (he's got a new movie set in an apocalyptic landscape too) have perfected. What is it with American movies and apocalyptic landscapes recently? Was Bush that bad? Maybe they need to nuke themselves and get it out of their system. 2012 is coming soon too. Another black president oversees the destruction of America (the world). This time it's Danny Glover. In the movie, when his scientific advisor tells him that the Mayan prophecy of the end of the world is coming true, he actually says "I'm too old for this shit." The Mayans think the world will end in 2012? And where are these Mayans? Oh yea, their civilisation was wiped out a thousand years ago. Obviously they missed a more pertinent date.
Anyway, the next post will have the tale of the tape. I'm doing the fitness test that I did before I started P90X again, so I'll put the results up, and the before/after pics too. Until then, thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Come home!! Come home!!!! Stay here with us some of the time if you want. We are going to QLD around that time but Im sure we can hang out at some stage! Mum would be proud, she wnated us to be happy and HEALTHY!!!! Thats just what we are doing XXX

    ReplyDelete