Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hyperion

I'm reading Hyperion again. I bought the last book in the series in Hawaii, so I've decided to buy the first three one at a time and read them again. It's about seven people who are making a pilgrimage to visit the Shrike, a mythical killing monster who traditionally kills six and grants the wish of one. It's kind of beside the point because the book is basically each of them telling their story of why they are making the pilgrimage as they travel to meet the Shrike, so it's like six connected but separate short stories. I remember the first time I read it, I loved the first story and thought that they couldn't get any better than that, but they did. The second book in the series continues on with the actual pilgrimage and meeting with the Shrike. The third and fourth books are excellent too. I was reading it this time last year too, all through mum's sickness, so it makes me feel kind of sad, but that's okay. It's a great book.
Today is Willy's 4th birthday! Except that I have to work, and after work I have to go and talk with that guy who wants to pay me to talk with him. So we didn't mention his birthday this morning, and we are going to celebrate it tomorrow. We asked him what he wanted for his birthday, and he said "cake." We can do that. He's a great little boy, all he does is sing and dance and draw and play, and I don't know what I did without him. Happy birthday William!

No comments:

Post a Comment