Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Chalean Extreme

I went for a really long ride the other day, much longer than I had planned. My motorbike, like most, I'm guessing, does not have a fuel gauge. Instead, it has a reserve tank. So when the main tank runs out, you just switch over to the reserve tank and then you have about 20 or 30 kilometers of petrol to find a service station with. I was just getting up into the mountains when my main tank ran out. I thought I had more, but no dramas, I just switched over to the reserve tank and told myself to keep an eye out for a servo. I got deeper and deeper into the mountains without seeing one, and after about ten kilometers I was starting to get worried. I had one more relatively large town coming up before it got really mountainous and winding. I was pretty relieved to see the sign in the distance when I got to the town. Yes. Now I could relax and fill the tank and go for a nice ride up in the hills proper. Except that the servo was closed. Sunday. Fuck!
My only option was to turn around and go back into town, which I knew was another 12 kilometres away. I would be cutting it pretty fine. If I do run out of petrol, I would have to walk or hitch-hike, and it's 35 degrees and people are going to think I'm a fuckwit foreigner and they would be right. So I turned around and only accelerated when I had to, up hills. The rest of the time I had the clutch in and coasted. Whenever I let my mind wander and think about other things, I was always jolted back to reality when it hit me that at any moment I could run out of petrol and my day would become a nightmare. Finally I got to a petrol station and filled up. I turned around and went back up into the mountains and had a great ride, but I'm feeling it today. My back is nice and sore, and my legs are sunburnt to the shiezenhouzen.
I missed the workout on Saturday, so I doubled up on the Sunday, and then felt so crap yesterday that I had another rest. I had hay fever all day which dragged me down, plus a few late nights watching football and early mornings watching golf. I can't believe Y.E. Yang won the PGA. I hate it when nobodies win tournaments. It devalues the brand. And by the way he isn't the first Asian to win a major. Tiger's half Asian, more Asian than black, so if he's the first black man to win the Masters and everything else, then he has to be the first Asian to win everything too. So they say this guy is the first "Asian-born". Big deal. He can't putt. He comes up out of putts like a middle-aged man whose nerves are shot, and misses everything to the right. Tiger played crap, so it was a really disappointing day. All the majors this year finished up crap.
I've decided to start "ChaLean Extreme," which is a workout series from the same company as P90X, but designed mainly for women. The workouts are short but pretty intense, there's a lot of resistance exercises, and I'm getting a little tired of the P90s. Been doing them for nearly a year! So I'll start that on Thursday.
I think that for the moment I still need to be doing a prescribed schedule of workouts to keep the motivation and discipline up. Maybe in the future I can go out on my own and decide what to do, make a hybrid schedule out of all the workouts I have, but not right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment