Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Week 6 done

I did Cardio Intervals this morning. Week 6 finished. Nearly half-way already! Next week will see day 45 come and go. I am going to make next week "No Pause Week."
I have 7 weeks until I finish, which means I have 7 weeks until I start P90X. Even so far out, I feel its presence. It is intimidating. When I read blogs by people who are doing it, a lot of them were just podgy couch potatoes who saw the infomercial and bought it. I can't understand how they kept it up! I'm sure a large percentage quit and delete their blogs, but some of them keep going until the end and get amazing results. I will be starting it in very good shape, probably the best shape of my life, and I'm scared. It might be easier than what I think, but I won't know until I start. One thing's for sure. I'll have to sort out the food issue before then.
Tiger is back this week. 9 months of golf without him. I think I lost interest in golf after only a month. And in golf I mean the world of professional golf, not the actual sport. Padraig Harrington's wins were good, but since then... That's the problem with golf. The best golfers in the world are multi-millionaires, travelling the world in their private jets, staying in the best hotels in the world. If you have a little talent, why bust your gut just to win? You don't have to win. You just have to finish top 20 and you're more than covered. Look at Ernie Els and Phil Mickelson. If there was no Tiger they would be considered all-time greats. I guess they are, even though together they have won only 6 majors. Tiger makes them look fat and lazy. Tiger's won 13 majors and he's ten years younger than either than them. That's part of why I love Tiger. He makes everyone else look lazy and pampered because they are.
People say "golfers aren't athletes," which I hate. Why aren't they athletes? Because they don't run? I would even call Craig Parry an athlete because he has trained his body to repeat a movement with incredible precision over and over again. Isn't that what athletics is? Runners put one foot in front of the other really fast, or for a really long time. Does it matter how much they weigh? Of course, you don't have to be thin to be runner, but it helps. Golfers move every part of their body in unison to propel a small ball unbelievable distances with incredible accuracy, and then they have to putt! A totally different set of skills. Anyway, Tiger looks like an athlete. Craig Parry doesn't, but he still is one.
The tragedy about golf nowadays is that Tiger has been around for ten years, and nobody has stepped up. He still works the hardest. He still plays the hardest. And he still trusts his swing like no one else. He can practice a shot, like a high left-to-right fade with a driver off the fairway for a week. Then he will have the balls to hit the shot on the last hole of a tournament when he needs a birdie to win. No-one else will do that. Everyone else thinks, nah, I'd better not. I've only been practicing that shot for a week. There's too much pressure. I'll just try and hit my normal shot. Tiger will hit the shot, and it will come off. He's done that so many times.
Tiger lives for competition. I bet, with all the money and fame and family and everything he has, the only time he feels alive is when he's in the running to win a golf tournament. When he was young he would get so excited! Like he was in another world. He's learned how to control it now. Before Tiger, the pressure would be on the leader because everyone was chasing him and if he made a mistake he would lose. Now, when Tiger's in the lead, the pressure is on everyone else because they now he won't make a mistake.
Check this article out.
http://www.slate.com/id/2182671/
It's about how if you are filling a position in an office, say, you shouldn't hire someone who is miles better than everyone else. You should hire someone who is only a little better that everyone else. That way, the incentive to improve remains with the rest of the office. As an example, the writer uses a study that found that the average score of golfers in tournaments Tiger is not playing in is better than in tournaments he is playing in. Basically, when Tiger is playing, the incentive to win is lower in the other golfers because they don't think they can beat Tiger.
My favourite Tiger win is still the 2000 USPGA. A birdie fest with him and a guy called Bob May.
But then I could link to a dozen shots that are just unbelievable, and all pulled off under the most intense pressure.
So obviously I'm glad he's back. I wish he's start wearing different colour shirts on Sundays though. When he was a boy his mother said that red means victory, so he should always wear red on the last day of a tournament. It's getting kind of silly now, and sometimes I wonder why he doesn't try and beat superstition by winning in another colour. I'm sure he could.

No comments:

Post a Comment