Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day!
Yesterday was a beautiful day. About 18 degrees, blue skies, nice breeze. It's hard to believe that a year and a week ago it snowed about a foot. The other day I did Sculpt 5-6, and I don't think I could have done another push up or bicep curl to save my life so I think I'll only do them after Plyo, Core Cardio, Sweat 5-6, and UML. I won't do them after Sculpt because I can't, and Core Cardio goes for almost an hour and I'm too buggered after that to do anything also. Friday was the 30th day, so I took a photo. Meh.
I've got a four day working week this week! How will I cope? Also, it's Valentine's Day this week, isn't it. So I'll be getting lots of chocolate. What? You ask. Is Jim so popular with the ladies? Hahaha, no. They are obliged to give me chocolate. Any female co-worker I'm on first name basis with (or last name, in Japan) will give me chocolate. What the Japanese have done, and it's brilliant, is to take any of the romance and passion out of Valentine's Day and turn it into a social obligation and a chore. But this is the real genius. I don't have to give the ladies anything on Valentine's Day. Nothing. However, I do have to give them something on "White Day," which is around mid-March. First celebrated in 1978, White Day was started by the National Confectionery Industry Association of Japan. They created another day out of thin air where men are obliged to buy something in response to Valentine's Day. Wow. One thing about the Japanese, they do what they are told. But then, think of it this way. Valentine's day before 1978. You buy something for the person you fancy, and you give them chocolate. Then they are embarrassed because they have nothing for you in return, and you are embarrassed because you realize they do not share you feelings. Awkward. With White Day, this embarrassment is avoided. There is no need to be concerned. Everything is safe. Ahhhh.
I'm watching a BBC documentary series called "Blood and Guts - A History of Surgery." Amazing. I'm also watching "The Biggest Loser" which has just started. This time it's with couples. It amazes me that people let themselves get so fat. My god it looks terrible. And the accent! Why do Australian women always go up an octave on the last syllable of a sentence? I think it's to indicate that they haven't stopped expressing their opinion just in case someone else wants to get a word in. Kind of a pre-emptive measure. Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching them get their asses kicked.
Here are some photos of my new bike and my grazed knee.

1 comment:

  1. Hey mate, My brother Nick just bought the exact same bike in red. Nice bike - he loves.

    ReplyDelete