Monday, February 9, 2009

Week 4 and Mr. Donuts

Wow. Tough times in Victoria. 108 people? How does that happen? I hope everyone's family is safe, and things have cooled down a little.
Nearly finished week 4 now. One more to go. It's been nice to have a lot of time to do the exercises and not have to worry about running late for anything. I can get used to these 3 day working weeks. At the moment I do not see any real improvements, but I know that they start at the end of the second month. The first month is a bit of a slog. The second is just a matter of keeping the intensity up and pushing yourself and the third is where the results come through. That's what I've read, and that was my experience when I did P90. These workouts are still kicking my ass. Sometimes I have flashbacks to footy training when I was 12. Those cold nights at Chandler Park when I would run until I thought I was going to be sick.
Last night we went to an eel restaurant. It took me a while to get used to the flavour of eel, but I don't mind it at all now. I wouldn't recommend it though, because I know you would hate it the first time, like I did. Will loves this place because they have a big tank full of wriggly eels next to the register, but especially because they have a little crab in a tank just for him. He took me to see the crab three times during dinner. The owners of the restaurant are friends of Junko's family, and their little girl, Kurumi-chan, often comes over to play with Will. Or to watch Will play with his trains, more like it.
Yesterday I got the crossed arms. It hasn't happened for a while, and it was a bit of a shock. I took Will to Mr. Donuts in the afternoon, and I ordered the usual – an angel cream and milkshake. I was served by a young girl, maybe 19. Ordinary looking. Will you be eating here? Yes. Would you like a drink? Yes, a vanilla milkshake please. Do you have a points card? Yes, here it is. That's 504 yen, please. All in Japanese. I handed over the correct change. A co-worker approaches the girl, another young woman. She whispers something in her ear, and the girl at the counter freezes. Something… is… wrong…. She just stands there with the 5 coins in her hand. What's wrong? I ask her in Japanese. She ignores me. "What should I do?" asks the girl to her co-worker. "I don't know," says the other co-worker. Then, the girl looks at me, and crosses her arms in front of her like a big "X", the gesture for "No" here. Oh fuck, I think. Here we go. Then the girl says, "Mirukusheiku No!" Say that out loud slowly, and that's what she sounded like. I could have slapped her.
Let's break this down. I have ordered and paid for a donut and milkshake in Japanese. I have clearly understood your Japanese, even though you have been using the very difficult "Keigo" style polite Japanese, with its own distinctive verbs and expressions. And yet, you don't think I can speak Japanese, or at least not enough to understand that there are no milkshakes at the moment. You ignorant, stupid bitch. Fuck your milkshake, I said. I brought my own drink, and I know that sign over there says I can't bring in food or drink that wasn't purchased at this store, but I'll pretend I can't read it because it's in Japanese and I'm obviously not Japanese so it is incomprehensible that I might understand Japanese, because only Japanese people can speak Japanese and I am obviously not Japanese. I hate you now. No, I didn't really say that. Actually, my Japanese isn't good enough to say that perfectly, which means she wouldn't have understood (see previous post). I just said don't worry about the milkshake, just the donut, and then I totally ignored her the way they do when someone pisses them off. The crazy woman who always seems to be at Mr. Donut at the same time we are and squeals when she sees Will was there too, and she came over to pat his head and say hello. At least she speaks to us in Japanese. But she's hard to understand because she only has a few teeth. Ah, this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment