Tuesday, December 15, 2009

R2 Day 67 - Legs & Back

Legs & Back tonight. I did 98 pull ups, one less that last week. I was aiming at the ton, but I just couldn't get there. I was always trying to squeeze one more out at the end, but I just didn't feel as strong as I did last week.
I've seen two really good movies this week. The first one I watched was called Dear Zachary, which is a documentary made by a guy about his best friend who was murdered. I won't go into it, but I don't think I've ever been so upset watching a movie. The parents of this guy who was murdered, the nicest people in the world, and to have what happens to them happen, there is no explanation for it. The second movie I watched was 500 Days of Summer. I really enjoyed this movie. The female character could have sometimes came dangerously close to those kind of quirky, madcap Sandra Bullock type of characters, but instead both the male and female leads seemed genuine which made it enjoyable. Kind of at the other end of the scale of Along Came Polly, which is the epitome of the square-guy-meets-crazy-girl movies.
I was listening to a podcast called "Movies You Should See" and they were talking about how to spot a bad movie. Not that you might not want to avoid them (maybe you like bad movies), but how to know it's going to be bad before you see it. They all agreed, and I actually said the name out aloud a second before they did, the number one way to know that a movie will be bad is if it has this actress in it: Nicole Kidman. Why is she famous? Why is she in movies? I have no idea. Go to Wikipedia and run though the movies she's been in. It's like, shit, shit, heard it's shit, shit, boring, shit... It's incredible. I will not watch a movie if she is in it. You can put Renee Zelwegger in that category too. I won't bother watching another Adam Sandler movie either. Funny People? Not in that movie there weren't. Although Eric Bana did give us the greatest portrayal of an Australian in a Hollywood movie ever (even though the character was a douche). He wouldn't have been out of place in a Kath & Kim episode. It was really good. Anyone else? I am not going to give George Lucas any more of my money. I gave my Star Wars prequel DVDs away. They are all rubbish movies. I won't watch a movie with Harrison Ford in it anymore. That guy obviously doesn't give a shit.
In the spirit of my friend Stevie's blog, here's my top five movies of 2009 in no particular order.
Dear Zachary (though it was made last year)
500 Days of Summer
District 9
Zombieland
... can't think of any more that qualify. I enjoyed Valkyrie, Food Inc., and a couple others, but I'm not going to put them in a list. Moon was good. I haven't seen The Road, or The Box, which I want to see, and Avatar I want to see too. When mum found out she was sick, she ordered over $400 of books from Amazon in one hit. I think we got nine boxes. Some people go sky diving or buy a Ferrari when they find out they have terminal cancer, mum bought books. The Road was one of them, and I read it when I was down in Australia one time. I brought it back with me and I've read it a couple of times again since. I think the movie will be better because it is just so bleak and grey and hopeless, and you need that in your face the whole time or you forget what the man and the boy are up against, and how pointless staying alive is. Nick Cave does the music, which is unfortunate, but Viggo is one actor I will watch in anything. Maybe that will make the last spot on my list.
I have to say, living away from the hype in a country that has its own movies and music and TV, it's easy to lose touch with stuff, especially music. I first heard of Lady GaGa in September, and that's only because everyone was saying she had a dick. Wouldn't know a song of hers if I heard it. All those Idols and People Who's Got Talent or whatevers, pleased to remain ignorant. Anything less mainstream than that, I am no chance to hear of them. That's okay, I don't listen to music much anyway.
Anyway, I've got Cardio X and Ab Ripper X tomorrow, then a rest, maybe Yoga, and then I've finished phase 2. My diet has not changed in the slightest, though I am eating fewer chips. I definitely feel like I am forfeiting great results in exchange for chips and chocolate and coffee. For the moment that's okay, but maybe if I do Insanity after this second round of P90X I'll make the focus of this blog more about food and health that about exercise, and kind of experiment with recipes and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment