Thursday, April 8, 2010

Round 3: Day 15 - Insanity

So the Masters starts in the morning. My tip is Phil Mickelson. He's in okay form, played a lot of golf lately, and has won there twice already. I hope Ernie Els does well, but I fear he's peaked too early this year. If Tiger is in contention on Sunday, that is amazing. If he wins it, I will be stunned. If he misses the cut, I wouldn't be surprised.
It was great to see Tiger in the press conference the other day. It looks like he really missed golf and was extra glad to be back. But there are a couple of things that will continue to bother him until he decides to talk about it openly and honestly, which he hasn't so far. What really happened that night of the accident? "It's all in the police report," is the response. No, it's not. But hey, it's personal, I can let that one go. But the other grey area is not personal. Why did he associate with a doctor since revealed to be supplying performance enhancing drugs to other athletes? He says he has never taken performance enhancing drugs. Then why this doctor, out of the hundreds he could have chosen? The recommendation of other athletes, he said. Which athletes? No one asked the question. This Canadian doctor thing might hang around for a while yet. I doubt he ever took PEDs (that's what everyone's calling them these days), but hey, Tiger's a lying piece of shit, so anything's possible. Can't wait to watch him play golf again though.
I've got Insanity Plyometric Cardio Circuit tonight, and Chest & Back tomorrow. I'm ready to get back into it after my week off. I have added another ten days on the end of this round to compensate, so this round will last an even 100 days.
EDIT: I'm just about to watch the new Nike ad with Tiger Woods. Can I just say this - if I hear Earl Woods say something like "Before you help others, you've got to help yourself" I'm going to drop Tiger. He's been saying it in interviews and at the press conferences, and if it's in the ad, he's still all about the branding and image, and he and Nike have had meetings about the best approach and probably did focus group testing and all that. I don't like that he's bringing out an ad before he's hit a golf ball in competition, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt; probably not in a great position to argue with any sponsor at the moment. But all of this is a bit too slick for my liking.
...
Well, at least he didn't say that line. Weird ad. Taking the voice of your dead father out of context and applying it to this. I'm sure Earl would have reacted a little different if he were alive. He would have knocked him out.
One more thing about Tiger. Off the course, ever since he started, he's been prone to talk Oprah speak. Everything is about chasing your dreams, growing, learning, all that stuff. His approach to this scandal has been the same. This ad is in that style, too. What are your feelings? What did you learn? I don't think anybody is going to buy it. His brand is irreparably damaged, and I don't think he knows that. I'll still watch him play golf and marvel at his skill, but I don't think I'm going to care if he wins or loses anymore. Which really, really sucks.
Also, just heard that he screwed his 21 year old neighbor. Wonder if he told the wife about that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment