Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 56 Today

Today I've got X Stretch, and then tomorrow I start the last phase, Phase 3. Yoga last night was the best so far. I felt really strong and ready to go. This next month is going to be hard though. It's really humid now, and soon it's going to get hot. The garage is nice and dark, but it's still going to be an issue. I'll just have to be careful to hydrate before and after the exercises.
Rainy season is in full swing. It started raining really heavily last night, and this morning it was still bucketing down. It's stopped for the moment, but it'll rain again this afternoon. It really is amazing how much rain falls in rainy season. I don't know what they did before they covered the country in concrete. It must have been muddy.
We have a malfunctioning unit in our department. He has come to work twice in the last two months, one of those days being today. Apparently he can't handle it. What do you do with a seishain who can't handle it? You can't fire him. Interesting to see what will happen. They will probably just give him a pointless project to do with no deadline and wait till he quits or commits suicide. I happened to run into this guy a couple of months ago at a community leisure centre. I was with Will, he was with his wife and two daughters. This is a transcript of the conversation.
Me: You work in my department, don't you?
Him: Oh. Yes.
Me: These are your two daughters?
Him: Oh. Yes.
Me: They are very cute.
Him: Oh. Thank you.
Then they left without saying goodbye. Nice people. So of course now I don't really care about this guy, I just hope he doesn't take his family with him when he kills himself, like a lot of them do here.
I've tentatively started my Japanese study. I want to take the Japanese Language Proficiency Test Level 2 in December. These tests come in four sections: Kanji (the Chinese characters), grammar, reading, and listening. I find that with the Kanji I'm at about 65% when I don't guess what I'm not sure of, so in a test you might bump that up to about 75%, which is an easy pass. The listening and reading should not be a problem because that's what I do all day anyway. The grammar is an issue because there are so many structures that it's just so hard to remember them all. A typical question reads like
"While I understand that not eating breakfast is bad for my health, I didn't have time this morning so I __________." a) did nothing but eat breakfast. b) wanted to eat breakfast. c) was able to eat breakfast. d) couldn't eat breakfast."
I know what you're thinking. That's easy! d! Yea, but it's in another language, idiot! Sorry for calling you an idiot.
Anyway, I've got the 60 day photos next week, and I might post them, or I might leave it until the big finale in July. We'll see how they turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment