Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Round 4.1 Day 29

What a game it was on Saturday. I planned to sit down as soon as I could and watch the whole game, and the torrent came up late Saturday afternoon (Japan time) and I downloaded the 1st quarter first and couldn't help myself, so I watched the first quarter then waited for the second to finish downloading then watched that, and so on, juggling watching and downloading. I watched the first half on Saturday night, then the second half Sunday morning, the last quarter on the big TV using my ipod, but the batteries ran out with a minute to go so I had to race upstairs and watch the end on my computer. So a weird finish, and I'm glad I've got another chance to do it properly this week. I just hope I can have the patience to wait and watch it all at once.
I thought Collingwood were going to win, but those misses by Cloke in the second quarter, especially that last one with 6 seconds to go, that would have put them up by five goals at half time! Sport Karma is so real. You can't get away with anything in sport. It's amazing. Goddard was awesome, and I can't believe he didn't win the Norm Smith, but then I've watched most of it again since, and Hayes is awesome too. Can't split them, really. Did you see on Footy Classified, Stan Grant said that that goal Hayes kicked in the last quarter was the first goal he has ever kicked from outside 50 in his career! Wow. Impressive.
I had a horrible moment when Leon Davis kicked that goal in the last, I could see him kicking another one to seal it and becoming the hero. The wouldn't have been right. The guy has done nothing ever, but keeps getting a game, and then to become a Grand Final hero? No way.
I also have a theory about Milne. He thought scores were level when he let that ball go through for a point, and he thought that point put them in front. That's why he clapped when it went through. Surely you don't let a ball go through for a point to tie the game up with 30 seconds to go giving them possession, and then think, "Yes!" You would think, "Oh, shit! I should have tried to kick a goal!" But to admit that would be to admit you were a dipshit. I don't it's any great secret that he is a dipshit, but you know, why remove any doubt? Then again, it could have gone through for a goal. I kind of feel for him because there's all this "can't perform in a big game" pressure stuff with Milne, like he's a great player or something. He's an good player good at kicking celebration goals. Then again, he's probably a rapist, so I don't feel that sorry for him. It's kind of like expecting Shneider to rip a teams defenses apart, when he's good for a couple of goals, maybe one under pressure. He's not that kind of player, and to expect more is not being realistic. I still think St. Kilda have too many iffy players to win a flag, and Collingwood will win this Saturday. But I did like St. Kilda's immediate reaction to the draw, and I thought Collingwood were a little negative. That's important.
I see channel 7 have taken a page out of channel 10's book and tried to put every single person attending the game on TV at some stage. Watch any other coverage of any other sport around the world, and they never show the crowd. Why do we cut to the crowd all the time? Look everyone! People! Watching! There's a ball up. Director - "Quick! Cut to the guy talking to his mate. Shit! He saw us! Go back the footy! Go back! Shit, he pulled a face. Damn!" How many times did I say "What's going on?" watching the game because apparently Michael Kwim is enjoying himself and we have to see that instead of the footy. I remember in 2005, they kept cutting to the same guy in the crowd the whole last quarter. Some young guy in a Swans jumper. Why? An American watching that would probably think he's Prince Bruce of Australia or something. Weird. It's not some quirk of the game that makes it unique, it's just stupid. I watched some guy yell "You're a fucking cheat, Del Santo!" and I don't know how many times I saw someone yell "Fucking bullshit!". Leave it off the crowd, TV stations. Especially in Collingwood games, because most of them are scum and I don't want to see them. Having said that, let me say this; have they found the guy who took the mark from Milne's goal in the last? Nice one.
Of course the great fear is that this week will be a blowout, and will take something away from the first one, which was an awesome game. I reckon this will probably happen, because it would be such a struggle to get up for it mentally, I doubt both teams can do it. It's like a US Open playoff in golf, which I have heard some footy commentators use to SUPPORT a GF replay. Have you ever watched a US Open playoff? They suck! There's a reason why every other tournament has changed to sudden death playoffs (or a four hole playoff, which suck a little). They are great! They don't take anything away from the result. They ramp up the tension, the pressure, every thing becomes more intense. I would have liked two ten-minute halves. You've had 22 games and three finals to find the best team, that's enough. You don't need another game. There. That's my opinion, which I'm sure will spark discussion and probably force the AFL to make changes.
Having said that, let me say this. It's awesome that we get to watch another game, and I can't wait. I guess that's how most people feel. It sucked because we have to wait another week, but then again, it will be awesome! Conflicting emotions. Suck vs. Awesome. Hard to reconcile.
I will be supporting the Saints, but I think Collingwood will win by... 22 points. Norm Smith goes to Brown. Is that his name? Big guy, cut his eye last week.
Workouts going well. I'm in a rest phase this week, some yoga, some stretching. My legs and hips are tight, which I attribute to riding my motorbike to work instead of cycling/walking. They aren't popping like they used to. I've only got a couple of weeks of riding left before it gets too cold and I'm back on the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment