Monday, September 14, 2009

Footy And Stuff

I finished watching the Collingwood Adelaide game last night, and then I watched AFL Match Day (the channel 7 show) this morning. Am I wrong or is there a massive homosexual subtext in this show? Every time I watch it they joke around about enlightened man-love. Anyway, they're on about this being the match of the season. It wasn't. First, the amount of turnovers was enourmous. Silly kicks straight to the opposition. Second, free kicks in front of goals could have decided the game either way. They were both there, but hardly heroic stuff. Second, one team didn't kick a goal for nearly a half of football, and that team lost. 3 pretty good reasons why it was a good game, but not a great game. What about the Geelong Hawthorn match late in the season or what about the St Kilda Geelong match round 16? That was unbelievable. Kind of glad Collingwood got up, only because if Adelaide won they might have been a chance to beat St Kilda next week, and it would have sucked if Adelaide got to the grand final. So I reckon it'll be a St Kilda Geelong granny, and that would be awesome.
I had an okay weekend although for some reason I had a short fuse for most of the time. I just got sick of telling Will to do stuff over and over again. Wash your hands, eat your breakfast, brush your teeth, do this, don't do that, clean up your toys, etc. I just have to forget about it and let it go or it will destroy me. He always says no to whatever I ask him to do. He threw a plastic ball at Jo-kun on Saturday morning, and I grabbed him and said "Did you just throw a ball at Jo-kun?" and he said "Yes." So I screamed at him in my scariest voice "Don't you ever do that again!" and he just said "No!" with such disdain that I couldn't help laughing. I felt like just an asshole and a fake. In my defense, he was in the last stage of his 4 day pooz cycle, which is the most emotionally draining stage for all of us, and as soon as it came out, half in the shower and the other half in the toilet ("It was a long pooz, daddy, like a dinosaur pooz!"), things calmed down and everyone was nice to each other again. It's like he has PMS, except instead of a monthly cycle it's only four days! This weekend I've been going back to "The Idle Parent" by Tom Hodgkinson just to get some perspective and to understand that you lose when you try to compete with kids and the only way to gain control is give them control and all that "everything you think you know is wrong" stuff. It's a great book. I think he's the first person to call out Dr. Seuss as bullshit. So he rhymes shoe with wallamazoo. How is that good? And then you read a Dr. Seuss book, and you realize, he DOES just invent a word when he can't think of a real one that rhymes! It IS bullshit! I can't read Will a Dr Seuss book now. I read it hoping he doesn't remember half the words I'm reading because they are not real words, which is just stupid.
We had a nice Sunday evening and he fell asleep in my arms in bed as I read him a Frog and Toad story. Now they are real books, the Frog and Toad books. When I'm an old man and Will is grown up and off doing his own thing, I'm going to read Frog and Toad and just feel great, remembering how we laughed when Toad came out of the river with his silly bathing suit on.
Yesterday was September 13th, the one year anniversary of quitting smoking. I've done a year before, back in January 00 - 01, so it means nothing really, except that I could start smoking again at any time. It doesn't feel like that, but in the right (or wrong) circumstances it would be pretty easy. Still, it feels good. Four seasons. I can associate smoking with every kind of weather, every kind of feeling, every kind of activity. Hot days at the beach, on the golf course, rainy days outside under a doorway somewhere, in the shower (yep, if I was running late for something), in the snow, driving, in airport nicotine junky enclosures, eating, drinking, coffee in the morning, I could go on. It was such a part of my life.
I wonder if I'm going to get away with it. I still get asthma and have to use Ventolin. I must have some degree of emphysema, and still the chances of getting lung cancer are pretty high. And what did slowly depriving oxygen for 15 years do to my general circulation, especially to the small blood vessels in my heart, skin, eyes etc.? God knows. I might be lucky. Anyway, I don't want to brag because I hate it when people brag about not doing stuff they're not meant to do. No-one brags about not doing stuff they want to do, do they? That's what I don't get about ex addicts. Mind you, I've never actually met one, but seen them on TV. Or if I have met one, then they haven't bragged about being off heroin for three years or whatever, which is how it should be.
The workouts are going along as usual. Chalean is really working my back and shoulders, and the Cardio workouts are awesome. I'm enjoying running through the old workouts, kicking ass when ten, six months ago they were kicking mine. Insanity is still lurking though, ready to fuck me up again whenever I ask for it.
Japanese study is sputtering. What do they call it when the force needed to start something moving is greater than the force required to keep it moving? Initial inertia? I'm pushing, but there is a lot of drag.

No comments:

Post a Comment