Sunday, May 17, 2009

Third Week of P90X

This is the last week of Phase 1, then I have a week they call 'Recovery' but is still a major ass-kicker, then I'm on to Phase 2, which contains a few different workouts. I have to say, I love P90X. I do it every day, and every day I look forward to it. There are some days I like better than others, and I thought I'd rate them using the Likage scale, which is a measure of how much I like, fear, respect, dread, and look forward to each workout. It's complicated, because even if a workout rates poorly on the Likage scale, it doesn't mean I don't like it. I might just be scared of it. And I find that the workouts that don't leave me a drenched twitching mess rate higher.
Chest and Back - A solid workout. Nothing much to it, just push ups and pull ups. The pull ups are hard, but I've seen some improvement each week. As long as I can do 1 or even 2 more than I did the week before I'm happy, and that's been the case so far. I don't do this workout again until week 9, so it'll be interesting to the see the progress. Likage? 7/10
Plyometrics - The one I feared before I started, but I shouldn't have. I enjoy it. It's really tough, and my legs feel kind of restless the next day, but it's not as hard as P90 Master Plyo. The jump squats are tough. I really feel 35 years old when I do these, because I think the last time I did them (they are just jumping and bringing your knees to your chest) was at footy training when I was twelve, and that was sooooo long ago. Likage - 6/10
Shoulders and Arms - The glamour workout. Half way through doing this yesterday I thought my arms where going to pop. The pump! They deflated again soon after, but still. I bought some 15 kg dumbbells and I want to try and use these as much as possible to lessen the reps and up the burn. I really like this one. Likage - 8/10
Yoga - I do the shorter yoga workout that Tony made for One on One With Tony. I don't know if I will ever get around to doing the 90 minute long P90X workout. It's not so much the time, but an hour and a half of Yoga? I'm sure I would feel great afterwards, but I feel great after 45 minutes of it. I did it today and sweated like a mad man, and felt pretty good in some of the more awkward poses. I'll get around to it. maybe during the Recovery weeks. Maybe I don't want to do it because I know it will destroy me. I should front up to that fear at least once before I finish P90X . Likage - 8/10
Legs and Back - This is the one I dread. I thought after the first time I did Plyo that I had done all the hard work in Master and P90X was going to be an easy ride for my legs. Then I did this. This has all the tough exercises from Master Plyo, plus more. Wall squats - they just hurt! This is the one that makes me walk like an old man the next day at work. It was funny, because last Tuesday J and I went to get a coffee at work, and he's doing P90X too, following the same schedule, and we both shuffled along, struggling to get up the one flight of stairs to the drinks machines. Pain. Likage - 4/10
Kenpo X - Punching and kicking. This loosens those sore legs up in a hurry. I like it. It's a good way to end the week. It takes me back to when I did karate at Baysie. The warm up is really hard though. Tony does these strange warm ups that really hurt. Likage - 5/10
Ab Ripper X - "I hate it! But I love it." That's about right. It comes at the end of Chest and Back, Shoulders and Arms, and Legs and Back, and it's probably the last thing you want to do at those times. But you do it. About 350 situps. The last time I did it, yesterday, I did all of the reps except five Pfiffer scissors, which is just agony. So I will have to start concentrating on form and get them all done properly from now on. It's a great feeling when you get them done, though, and it's finsihed. Likage - 7/10
X-Stretch - This is optional. You can have a rest day or do X-stretch. Since I'm doing the short Yoga, I will do X-stretch every week and not take the day off. I really look forward to it anyway, especially after Legs and Back. It's one hour of stretching. How often do we sit down and do one hour of stretching? Likage - 9/10
So all in all, loving it. I haven't been sleeping enough. 7 hours a night probably won't do it. But it would be much harder if I were working a full 5 day week. Man, I would be buggered. I don't have any injuries, I'm feeling great, and very motivated. So, I'll take the recovery week, and then back into it full bore.
What else is news? Nothing much. Joseph smiled today, or we think he did. It's rained all weekend, so that's a bit of a bummer. Swans vs West Coast has almost finished downloading, so tonight I'll sit back with a shake and a small bag of chips and watch us beat them by a small margin like we always do (except in the 06 granny, but they were all on drugs so they cheated).
So until my next post, you're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment