Monday, May 18, 2009

Some Thoughts

I'm having issues with the food I eat. I've talked about this before, but the improvements have been slow, and I need to do something about it. The other day, I had just finished my workout and was fixing a shake when Junko came home from shopping. It was about 2 and I was starving. I was thinking about going to Cannery Row, an Italian restaurant (with the salad bar) and pigging out on broccoli, olives, and real pizza. But when she came home, I could smell something very familiar. MacDonalds. Damn. I tossed the coke and had my shake instead. I ate the chips, which are nice, but I could only manage half of the Bacon lettuce burger. What a piece of shit that is. "I think this is the last time I ever have MacDonald's," I told Junko. I don't really have anything against Maccas food in particular. It's shit, but then there's shit food everywhere. But now that I'm fit, my body is anti-craving. I'm taking sugar out of my milos and coffees without really thinking about it. Less margarine on my toast, less honey. Shall I get a canned coffee with lunch? Nah, I think I'll just have water. That kind of thing. It's not like "I must not have this because it's not good for me, but damn I want it." It's like smoking. My body seems to be subtly saying, hey, you don't want that. You want this instead. I need to encourage this.
Most meals at home and work, I just think, bleh! So I'm going to have to take total responsibility over what I eat, and that means a lot of cooking. So starting tomorrow I'm going to ditch the work lunches. They are giving me the shits. Except fish dishes. I need to think about and plan what I'm going to eat from tomorrow.
I wish they had Subway here. They used to, and there are still the odd stores in the capital cities, but basically it's gone. They lost millions here. When all the Subways lost money and had to close, they did research into why. Turns out that when Japanese people buy fast food, they want genuine shitty, fatty, salty fast food. They think they eat healthy enough at home. For them, going to Subway was like going to a brothel and having the girl dress in tracksuit pants and a T-shirt and watch TV with them. Probably not really, but...
By the way, I was spot on with my Swans – Eagles prediction, wasn't I? 5 points. I thought Shaw had lost us the game a couple of times, but Jack's goal was a beauty. Go Swannies!
Japanese elections are coming up soon. Did you know that since WW2, except for a couple of years in the 90's, one political party has ruled Japan? That's fewer ruling parties than China. Cuba. Russia. North Korea! Is this place a democracy? But apparently, this time, Japanese people have had enough! "Yes, We Might!" We'll see.

News Flash! Had to abandon today's workout after 40 minutes after sharp pain in right knee. Icing it now (10:50 pm) and we'll see how it feels tomorrow and decide what to do after consulting with J at work.

1 comment:

  1. Your overall eating sounds really positive. If you are making your own meals, think soups, tuna and salad, cold chicken and salad etc. You are doing so well and Im proud of you XX

    ReplyDelete