Monday, March 16, 2009

Week 9 almost done

Mornin'. I had a good long weekend, busy and fun. I'm getting used to these four-day weekends now. I've learned to pace myself and relax and just go with the flow. It's the three days a week I have to work that are giving me trouble now.
On Thursday the new chest of drawers came to put all the baby clothes in, so I put it together and set it up in our room. I had a great workout, too. My back is almost right now, and I feel like I'm able to really push myself. This week my focus is on intensity, and I tell you what, that's the difference between a crappy workout and a great one. I'm kind of getting the point that if you don't have intensity and you are just going through the motions it's a waste of time. Friday it rained all day, a really crappy day, so I chipped in at the supermarket with Junko's sister and then went home and did my workout. When Will got home from Kinda we went to the library, and I picked up a DVD about whales. He is mad about whales, and he especially loves the last half hour of Pinocchio now. The Okazaki library is brand new, and is awesome.
This morning, a work day, I got up at 5 to do my workout. I just couldn't really get up for it after four mornings of getting up at 8. I did Upper, Middle, Lower, the pushups and bicep curls, and then the situps, and I was absolutely buggered. I made my breakfast - cereal, toast, and a protein shake, and watched last night's episode of Australian Biggest Loser. Some saint uploads them only an hour after they've been broadcast. I hope they get onto the AFL this year too. I have to admit, I love reality TV when it's done properly. It's the only time we get to see real people on TV, and when you see them as much as we see the contestants on Biggest Loser, you really do get to know them. Doesn't mean you like them. Cameron gives me the shits, but I think I'm falling in love with Tiffany. She's still a bit chubby for my liking though. I watched The Footy Show yesterday, and it was a contrast seeing how fake those people are, desperate to keep in the spotlight because they've got nothing much else going for them. Cooney was funny though. But last year, I remember thinking, you know, I really want to see MORE of Shane Crawford. And hey, looks like I will now that he's gone full-time media whore. But my favourite part of The Footy Show was when the Richmond President Gary March called Terry Wallace "a brilliant coach." Since he started, the Tigers have finished 12th, 10th, 16th (last), and 9th. Hardly brilliant. But he is clever. He says, "if the Tigers don't make the finals this year I'm gone," and so when the Presidents is asked if that's the case, he can only say, "well, not necessarily, we'll have to make that judgement if the time comes, but I'm confident we will make the finals and blah blah blah." Why not just say "Yes, we will sack him if we don't make the eight this year"? Put some pressure on him. Why do I keep ranting on about the Tigers? Obviously I have strong feelings about them. I'll have to think about those feelings. I love to hate them.
I've decided that next week, week 10, is going to be about food. But the problem is that I can't go to a health food shop and buy all I need. There are health food shops here, there's one near my house. But it does not sell wholemeal flour. Or oats, or even muesli. I have to go to special supermarkets in Nagoya (about 50 k from where I live) to buy those things. I can't buy turkey slices. Things that the Japanese don't traditionally eat, they don't sell in the supermarket. That makes sense, but it pisses me off. They don't eat brown bread, so you can't buy brown bread. Simple as that. Monoculture. The bread here is white, pure white, and the slices are about an inch thick, and there are usually 4 or 5 slices in a pack, and there are no end crusts (Japanese people don't like crusts, so they don't sell crusts). And that's that. Choice? This bread is only 3/4 of an inch thick, and there are 6 slices. That's about it. I bought a bread machine I got so fucking sick of eating the shit bread here. I love my bread machine. Brown bread! Crunchy crusts! And it only cost me $250. I used to have to go into Nagoya to buy wholemeal flower until I discovered it in a dark corner of the biggest department store in town. What's good about Japanese food? There's never enough to pig out on. Meat is nicer because I don't feel like I'm sitting down to eat half a cow. Instead I get a few mouthfuls and it's beautiful. Lot's of veggies. Lot's of fish. Octopus, prawns, squid, seaweed, I like them all. Despite what you might think, you can't buy whale here. Or at least I've never seen it on a menu or in a shop. If I did, I wouldn't eat it. I wouldn't eat kangaroo or crocodile, either. I'm sure if you really wanted to eat whale, you could find a place. Japanese people almost vomit in their mouth when I tell them we eat rabbits. Back in the old days during the depression, everybody ate rabbits, I say. They had to. Well, back in the old days, they say, after the war when children were starving to death, everybody ate whale. They had to. Fair enough. I am sick to death of rice though. I'm really hating on rice at the moment. So I guess the conclusion is that here it's hard to eat poorly and easy to eat reasonably healthy, but hard to eat really healthy. It's all a matter of finding a local shop that has a selection of health foods comparable to Bayswater Safeway, but I honestly don't think there is one.
Anyway, copulator.

No comments:

Post a Comment