Thursday, March 5, 2009

No Pause Week - Redux

I'm using this time to reflect. Three days off, the most I've had since Hawaii, occurring right in the middle of P90 Master. What am I doing right, and what can I improve on? And where am I going?
I have not missed a workout in a month and a half. 6 workouts a week for almost 7 weeks. Looking at my P90 schedule, I missed heaps of days, and then either doubled up the next day, or did it on my next scheduled break day. My schedule was a mess of arrows, corrections, and compromises. This time, clean as a whistle. It's a habit now. I just get up and do it. It's nice not to have to have that little battle in the head every time I have a workout. I'm pleased with that. Intensity has been good. I know when I'm working hard, and when I find that I'm not, I usually step it up. One thing that Tony Horton says is that if you feel like crap, just press play and have a crap workout. No dramas. That happened at the start quite a bit, but now I find, or I was just starting to find before I hurt my back, that I felt great before, during, and after the workouts, and I can really push it the last 20 minutes. I should be back at that level in a week or so, and I'm looking forward to it. Naturally, I have had the odd day that I just do the workout to get it done, but those days are rare now. And if I have one, it's usually because I had a late night the night before or too many chips or something.
What can I improve? I worry about my back. You can be the fittest man in the world, but if your back is rooted then you can't do a thing. Sitting down at this desk all day can't be doing me any good, and I've never had the best posture. I'm going to have to work on getting it right. Chiropractor, stretching, and just generally looking after it.
Equipment. Weights. I have two sets of dumbbells - 5 kg and 10 kg. I have to start using the 10 kg set more. I'm getting too used to the 5s, and I can pump out a set of 15 reps and not really feel the burn. I do that because it's easier. I need to be struggling after 7 or 8 reps. I need to buy a heart monitor. And I need to figure out how I'm going to do pull-ups in the garage. Pull-ups are a huge part of P90X. I can give the garage a clean out. It's dusty and smells like rotting mandarins.
Food. The big'un. Stop eating shit! I've been saying to myself lately, "Sort it out when you start P90X. Don't worry about it yet." Then I say, "Yea, that makes sense," and I go and buy a pack of chips. On my rest days I say to myself, "You deserve it. You've worked hard all week," and I go and buy myself a pack of chips. Never mind that I have already eaten three or four packs that week. I don't deserve shit. And it's not about being tough on myself, or denying myself anything. It's about not sabotaging my own efforts to get fit. It's not a balancing act between good and bad, or deed and reward. It's about my mind moving in the one direction. If I'm working hard and pushing myself in the garage doing the exercises, how does that mean I can just forget about it on the outside and eat and drink whatever I feel like? I have to get serious, spend the money, buy the shit I need, and do it. In my mind I'm training for P90X, so I should be preparing the ground for the good habits I'm going to need outside the exercises too. That means not buying chips, or having a coffee just because that's what I do at 3 in the afternoon.
>What else? What the hell am I going to do when the baby is born? How can I make sure I get enough sleep? One thing when Will was a baby, I got so cranky sometimes. I'm sure every parent can understand, but I just got so tired and worn down and shitty that I can't say with any honesty that that first year was "fun." I can't really remember much of it. I'm going to have to do something about it this time. Not watch TV an hour every night is a start. Read a book. Listen to relaxing music. Try some meditation. Organize my TV viewing. Watch Lost, or Biggest Loser, or whatever, then turn the thing off.
All in all, I am pleased with my progress, and I seem to be in a great state of mind even though I could be laid off any moment and I'm about to be a father again and I'm living in Japan, all stress-inducers. You might think that this exercise thing has become too important to me, but it's only an hour a day. And this blog is handy for when I'm not busy at work, or I've had enough thinking about nozzles with low impact placement or revolver reset heights or whatever nonsense I'm translating and I want to chill out. It's just something I enjoy at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment