Monday, March 9, 2009

Back on Track

I went to the chiropractor on Saturday. First, a young woman warmed me up. She was wearing a mask, maybe because of hay fever, which is rampant here, so it was hard to tell how cute she was. I thought it was just going to be her for forty minutes, which I wouldn't have minded except there wouldn't be any cracking going on. We did a bit of small talk. Then she told me to wait, and she went into another room and told a man that the patient was ready. A guy came out, maybe fortyish, also wearing a mask. Maybe it's a health service thing, like doctors and gowns. Anyway, he massaged me a little more strongly, and we chatted. He asked me what brought me to Japan and I said I didn't know. When I finished uni I didn't really want to get a job, so I called a friend who was in Japan and he said it was fun, and here I am almost ten years later, still here. I said I think I've lasted so long because I wasn't interested in Japan. No stupid anime or samurai bullshit like what brings a lot of people. When they get here, they are like, Hey, there aren't any samurai here! Where are the cute pre-pubescent girls with the shirt skirts? Well, actually, they are here, but it gets kind of sickening after a while seeing twelve year old girls dressing like prostitutes do back home. Anyway, it's not what they were led to believe Japan was like. I had no preconceptions, so I wasn't disappointed, I said, or more like, me no before image of Japan, so no sad when come here. It seemed like he understood. Then he started massaging my neck, and he said that one bone was out of position, then he said, "Please release your neck power." Then CRUNCH. I have to admit I started giggling like a fool. I was still giggling when he did the other side. I kept thinking that this was the physical equivalent of when a psychologist makes a breakthrough with a patient, and the patient cries because of the release of tension after all those years of keeping it bottled up inside. He then cracked my back. He had me sit down on the bench, and then from behind kind of got up over me and pushed down on the back of my neck. For a moment I had an image of him snapping my back in half and slamming my face into my own crotch, and I wanted to say Hey! No! but he did three quick pulses, one - lower back cracks, two - middle back, and three - upper back. Amazing. I paid the money (about $40) and went home, feeling immediately better, especially in the neck. I'd like to go back there every three months and get my neck cracked routinely.
We are getting really busy at work recently. A co-worker has a theory, and he's probably right. Things are getting tight, so everyone feels that they have to justify their position, so they write a lot of meaningless reports which we have to translate. Also, we are squeezing 5 days work into 3. I don't mind at all, because the day goes faster when I'm working hard.
I've nearly finished No Pause Week - Redux. Going well. I'm thankful my back is better - not 100% yet, but getting stronger. I didn't have a lot of junk on the weekend, but I didn't drink enough water and I got a headache yesterday afternoon. I get those Sunday arvo headaches quite often. I don't drink nearly as much water on the weekends as I do during the week.
Nothing much else to report. I enjoyed reading about how Ben Cousins forgot he was a drug addict after a knock to the head last week. I can imagine the scene. Ben, you're a recovering drug addict. Really, oh my god. You missed a year and a half of football. Jeez, that's terrible. Now you play for Richmond. WHAT THE FUCK!? THIS IS NOT HAPPENING! NO!!!!!!!!
Go Tiges 09. Position 09, that is. Mwa-ha-ha-ha. That's right. And if you Richmond supporters have an issue with this, leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment