Monday, January 26, 2009

Nearly two weeks

Almost finished the second week. A couple of workouts to go. At first, P90 Master seems a little easier than P90, but maybe that's because my form is crap and I don't really know the exercises. They definitely go faster, that's for sure. I didn't do Sculpt 3-4 like I said I might. I'll stick to 5-6. After all those squats in Pylo, the squats in 3-4 would be too much for my left knee, which is aching a little.
There is definitely more emphasis on core strength in these videos. My gut is sore, but already feels stronger. I sweat more than I did in P90, even though it feels like I'm doing less. It feels like I will be ready for P90X when the time comes in April sometime. I do worry that when the baby comes I'm going to work myself into the ground, but then I can go to bed around 10 every night instead of spending an hour watching TV. I'll be busy, but I'll be fit and healthy. I'll try waking up early in the morning next week, I think.
Since the first week of September, I've done a workout 6 times a week, except for two weeks off around Christmas. That's a lot, especially when for years prior to this I could only do a week or so before getting the CBFs (Couldn't Be Fuckeds). It's obviously a reaction to my mother's death in August. It's weird how the mind works. I do not think "I have to do this or I will die like mum" or "I'm going to make mum proud" or use her death as a motivation to do an extra pushup. I haven't thought that once. But if I look at my behavior objectively, this is how I'm dealing with it (or not dealing with it). But I don't really like the idea of "dealing" with something, because it implies that by some magical process in the mind of thinking about something logically, rationally, by making a story of it, then it is dealt with and done, like a homework assignment or something. What I'm doing is a response to mum's death, and I have control over what that response is. That's it. Mum's death doesn't have to be any more than that to me. It doesn’t have to damage me for it to be real to me. I don't have to try to put myself through something as traumatic as what happened to her to feel like I understand what happened. I lost my mother. That's enough, I think. Anyway, I'm not going to stop my fitness campaign because it is an obvious psychological mechanism. Actually, I wish I could apply it to more areas of my life, like Japanese study, which sucks. But mum didn't die because she couldn't speak Japanese. She died because her body betrayed her.
Speaking of Japanese, I found a word the other day. "辻斬り" Can you read that? "Tsujigiri" which combines the characters for "crossroad" and "slash", and it describes the act of "killing a passerby in order to test a new sword," which was banned around 1600. They needed a word for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment