Thursday, November 11, 2010

Round 4.1 Day 72

I got the mole cut out of my back yesterday. I went to the dermatologist about lunchtime, and then I was taken upstairs to the surgery, then told to strip and put a gown on. I wasn't sure if the nurse had asked me to completely undress, or just take my top off. It sounded like she had asked me to completely undress, but I thought, that can't be right. I had visions of me walking into the surgery completely naked but for the gown and the nurses screaming "No!" and me feeling like a complete dumb bastard. It's like when I went to the chiropractor, and went to take my T-shirt off before we began, and the nurse screamed "No!" You keep your T-shirt on, jumper on, when you go to the chiropractor in Japan. I didn't know that. They massage you through the cloth. So just as the nurse was leaving I asked her, my jeans too? and she said, no, leave your jeans on. Victory for Jim.
I thought this would be a little procedure, like a jab with a painkiller and then a few swipes with the knife then cauterize the wound and off we go. But the doctor is scrubbing down, and there are two nurses, and it's a full on surgery. I tried to imagine what it would feel like to be getting prepped for serious, life-or-death surgery, and I thought fuck that. They took my gown off (I wore it for about ten seconds, from the change rooms to the operating table) and they got me to lie on my left side. Then the doctor gave me an injection of painkiller and when to cutting and burning. It took about twenty minutes. I wish I could have seen it. They didn't even show me the stuff they cut out. After that I got dressed, and waited downstairs. They gave me shit-load of pills (anti-biotics, which I might take if it starts aching, some stomach medicine for god knows what reason which I won't take, and some strong pain killers which I might save for the flights to and from Australia). All up it cost about $150, and the results of the biopsy will be back next week. My karma lawyer advises me to state I have absolutely no comment to make while the investigation is being performed. The large strip of gauze I have on my back is a little uncomfortable, and to make matters worse, I did Legs & Back before going yesterday and I am sore like a bastard. Today is a rest day, and tomorrow we are back into it. The Doctor said I can't workout for a week, and I said, "Don't tell me what I can't do!" and he said "What do I know? I'm just a doctor." (The first line is from Lost. 10 points if you can tell me which movie the second line is from. Hint - I associate this movie with plastic Pepsi Max bottles filled with tissues.) No, he said no such thing.
Other than that, an uneventful week.
PS Any reporters in Oz golf pick up on the fact that Tiger isn't wearing his Buddhist bracelets anymore? He said he'd wear them forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment