Monday, March 21, 2011

Round 5 - Day 69

You'll be glad to know that, after 2 years of whining, I've cut down on the coffees and kitkats. Instead of 4 cans a day, I'm on 1. Instead of 5 kitkats a day, I'm on 1. It's only early days, but I feel good, much more relaxed than usual. I bought a flask to bring milk to work, so I'm having my milk cocoa and my milk tea, but no sugar.
Footy starts in a few days. Good to get into the rhythm of all the panel shows and stuff. For me, it's Footy Classified and On The Couch on Tuesday, AFL 360 on Thursday, Footy Show on Friday, then the game on Sunday afternoon if I'm lucky, usually Monday. It's all I watch for six months. My favourite is Footy Classified, and I usually skip over On The Couch until the interview, Footy Show is good for a laugh. AFL 360 is the new one in my rotation. I don't mind it. It's probably positioned as a less combative version of Footy Classified. I don't know how they are going to differentiate themselves from it though. Regardless, they all talk about the same topics, so after I watch one, the others get a bit repetitive. It just so happens that Footy Classified is the first one I watch. If I had to dump one it would be On The Couch. Mike Sheahan shits me. But I'll watch it for Paul Roos, if what I hear is right and he's on the couch instead of Hird this year.
Predictions? Essendon - finals. Saints finished - nightmare year for them, dream is over. Maybe miss the finals. Richmond - 10th. Sydney, will get beaten by Collingwood in the Prelim, who will go on to win the flag over Fremantle. Brownlow - Adam Goodes for number 3. Off-field, one player will be done for performance enhancing drugs. 1 rape, 2 bashings, 3 DUIs. Fevola will be arrested for attempted murder.
A couple of things recently have got me thinking. One is a video I saw on Liveleak. Apparently there was some kind of viral outbreak among pigs in South Korea, and they had to put a lot of them down. Kill them. So this video is of a massive ditch in the ground, probably the size of an Olympic swimming pool, and about 4 or 5 meters deep. so what they did is herd hundreds if not thousands of live pigs into the ditch, over one of the edges, and just filled up the ditch with these pigs. You should have heard the screaming. Imagine killing the children of a thousand women in front of them, and you might get a sound like that. Inside the ditch (it was nighttime, and the whole area was lit up so they could do the work) was writhing, screaming pink mess. Then I'm assuming they just buried them all alive.
Another thing is a book I got from a friend here at work. "Meat" it's called. It's kind of a horror/sci-fi story about one group of people who treat another group just like we treat cattle. I'm really enjoying it.
Lately I have come to see vegetarianism as probably the most radical political act a person can do without breaking the law these days. Eating meat supports so many terrible things, all in the name of efficiency and profit, always at the expense of the animals and the poor. You see something like the video of the pigs and wonder, what right does anyone have to treat another living being like that? Their lives are less than worthless. Here it is if you really want to see it.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=086_1300057764
I gets you wondering about your own culpability.

No comments:

Post a Comment