Friday, March 11, 2011

Round 5 - Day 58

Weekly, I consume approximately:
18 cans of coffee: 1800 yen.
20 Kitkats: 1200 yen
6 bags of chips: 700 yen
3700 yen a week. Holy shit.
I do this because I like this stuff. But I want to stop. I'm eating and drinking more sugar than ever, and the chips are just something to do while I watch TV.
So what are the alternatives?
Popcorn. I bought a popcorn maker, but it kind of sucks. I can only put a few kernels in at a time or else it gets jammed up. I'm lucky it didn't catch fire the first time I used it when I put a whole cup in there. But if I take the time, I can make a nice bowl of popcorn, and with butter it's good tucker. So that's the chips sorted.
The coffee. Drink milo. Or tea! I'm sick of the restless, jittery feeling I get after lunch when , let's be honest, I've had my morning can of coffee, my morning tea can of coffee, and my lunch can of coffee, and I feel like a tweaker. I must find a way to bring milk to work. Keep it cold somehow. There are no fridges here at work because I don't know why. Maybe I will buy a flask or something.
The Kitkats. I can have one for lunch. A fun size one for 20 yen. What's the difference between having one, and having three? When I have three, I smash through the first one, chomp on the second one, and then I don't remember that I've eaten the third one until I reach for it thinking it is still on my desk in front of me. So I don't need three. Or two. I should just eat the first one slowly.
This isn't about health, really, though my sugar intake is pretty high. It's about relying on shit that is bad for me. So I can have my kitkat, and then maybe some nuts or trail mix. I can have my hot, milky cup of beverage, only it's milo or tea, and there's no sugar in it. I can have my crunchy snack while I'm watching TV, only it's popcorn and not chips.
So my weekly consumption now looks like this:
5 cups popcorn: 400 yen
6 Kitkats: 120 yen
1/2 bag of Milo: 200 yen
1 kg Nuts, trail mix: 1000 yen(?)
I have never seen trail mix here in Japan. I'm sure it's on Amazon, though.
At most, this is going to cost me about 2000 yen a month, probably closer to 1000. I will buy a small flask tonight for the milk, and it will have paid for itself in two weeks.
I ran 10 km on Saturday. Easily the longest I have ever ran. The first few kms were really hard mentally. I just kept telling myself that it's always like this, and everything will find it's own rhythm and the last half will fly by. Which it did. It took me 56 minutes. I assume that's pretty slow. I didn't buy any runners, but I should because I got a pretty big blister on the ball of my foot and maybe the sneakers I'm wearing now are to blame.
I fixed my motorbike up and I'm rolling again. I have an old BMX that I would like to do up to give to Willy some day. On Sunday I wanted to buy a stand that I could clamp the frame to to make working on it easier. I went to the bike shop down the road, and they had a "Display stand" with hooks for $40 that was not exactly what I had in mind, so I thought, and it's always when I'm in a shop that I have this thought, I'll check the internet! So I went home, and checked Yahoo Japan auctions. There was a nice proper stand with a clamp, used, for $100. I did a search for the stand on Goolge, and for new it goes for double that usually. Good quality, seemed sturdy, some good reviews, so I decided that I would bid, and see how it goes, though the auction had another four or five days to go. I'll check Amazon Japan first, I thought. Bang! New ones for sale for $105 dollars. Sold! Arrived Tuesday. Umm, winning!
Amazon is awesome. I order something on Thursday, it's on my doorstep Friday when I get home from work. If they let Australia have an Amazon, you guys can say goodbye to things called "shops" where they buy shit and put it on a shelf hoping that someone else will buy it off them for double what they paid for it. No. Actually, you'll need a place where you can go to try out the products you are thinking of buying on Amazon, which is basically the role shops here in Japan have now.
I was thinking of starting with the BMX rebuild tonight, by sanding down the handlebars and prepping for painting. I'll keep track of my progress on this blog.

2 comments: