Monday, May 10, 2010

Round 3: Day 47 - Rest

Been a while! I just couldn't be bothered typing out a blog when I'm not getting paid to do other things, it seems. Well, Golden Week is over, and I'm back at work. Had a good break. I went to Tingas and had a beer with Johnny on the first Friday night, who later on took me back to show me his place which his parents in law gave him, a beautiful 100-year old Japanese home, all wood and tatami, which he saved from the evil clutches of his wife who wanted to tear it down and build a crappy plastic house in it's place (and have him work 40 years to pay for it). I would consider staying here forever if I could get a place like that with a yard and stuff. Then I just hung out with the kids, trying to keep them happy. We went to Beachland, an aquarium with a dolphin show which the kids loved. I was left to lie on the grass under a tree with Jo Jo while Junko took Will to a wading pool for an hour, which was probably the most relaxing hour of the whole week.
On the health front, I've been getting headaches daily, which is giving me the shits. they come on about 9 in the morning, and hang around till after lunch, and I have no idea what's causing them. This has been going on since Winter. Months! A dull ache at the back of my head, and sometimes really throbbing pain behind the eyes. So I went to the doctor, and he said I had common migraine headaches. When I think of migraines, I think of auras and debilitating pain and all that, and they definitely aren't that bad. I think it might be more tension headaches, because I am really tight in the neck. It feels like I have a hangover every morning. So I had an MRI, which was exciting, and it's not a tumour! He gave me some pills, plus I've been taking aspirin, which helps. I'm usually fine by the afternoon. When he showed me the MRI results, the doctor said my sinuses were all stuffed up and I should probably get that looked at, which I will. I probably should have an eye test sometime, too. All in all, out there, makin' a difference. Part of the reason it shits me is because I'm in awesome shape and I feel like I should be able to enjoy life more, but when your head is thumping and you can't move, you can't really enjoy anything. But once the headache goes, or more likely the drugs block the pain, I can do my workouts and play with the kids and I forget about the headache. I doubt the workouts are causing the headaches, because honestly, I can't see how mild to rigorous exercise for 40 - 50 minutes four or five times a week can cause headaches every day, though it probably does contribute to my tight neck, which I can do something about with stretching or massages. The headaches are annoying though, and I am worried about it. I'll give it another few days, and then I'll have to give the workouts a break for a week.
In other news, Tiger missed a cut! Only the sixth time in his professional career, which is astounding. Even the best players in world like Mickelson or Els miss two or three cuts a year. This is probably THE stat that so clearly separates Tiger from the others. Geoff Ogilvy had a point when he said that the Masters probably let Tiger get away with poor play more than other tournaments because poor driving accuracy is not really punished at Augusta, while at other tournaments it is. And Tiger is driving really poorly at the moment. His swing looks all closed and awkward, and it's a wonder he can hit anything straight. Ogilvy is probably the world's best golf commentator at the moment, and is easily the go to man for thoughtful and funny quotes. Listen to anything he says, sports fans. Probably the best interview in sport.
So the Cats beat the Swans. I am getting bored of Geelong now. Bored of Ablett. I'll tell you why. How many times do we see him brilliantly shrug out of a tackle in the center of the ground, take off with scintillating pace, dodge and weave around two or three defenders, run into the fifty, and then softcock a pass that might have been a shot at goal that lands 15 metres short of goal, maybe somewhere near Moody, who would struggle to get a game for Richmond if it didn't mean Geelong would have to play the delicate Tom Hawkins at full-forward. Ablett is scary good, but he's not scary. Chapman and Varco are scary, and Johnson is like a retard-savant. Damn! We have the same problems as usual. A couple of injuries, and Bang! Ted Richards is back in the team, and Rhys Shaw is providing run and turnovers from the back flank. Nothing really against Richards, but if the youngsters are all playing as well as everyone says they are, why is he in the team? Surely someone else can do better? The only difference this year is Kennelly, Jack, Grundy, Moore, and White are playing really well. Bulldogs next week. It will be huge if we beat them, because they have beaten us lots recently.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jim,

    Thanks for the comment on my blog man. It really picked me up first thing in the morning. You're right of course about having that killer attitude and getting into interviews. The problem so far is getting the interview (which I am working on). A friend of mine who used to be a vice principal at a school said that for every job opening they had (like maybe 2 a year) they would recieve upwards of 500-700 applicants. In that kind of pile, he said there was NO WAY to stand out with your resume so all they did was go to people they already actually knew and interviewed them (like supply teachers and stuff who had been in the school).

    Which means... I really have to sleep around more, take photos and blackmail my way into the system. There's no way THEY CANNOT KNOW MY FACE if I do that. NOW THAT'S RUTHLESS!!

    Seriously though, I hope you get your job back in Australia. Reading your blog, I know you've wanted to go back for a while. Living in Japan, as beautiful and wonderful a country it is, I know what it's like to be a foreigner there and it can be "stranger in a strange land" type experience. Hahaha... I remember days when I would accidentally open my mouth in public, have a word of English come out and no word of a lie, some of the older folks in the small fishing towns I would visit as a teacher would back up, turn around and walk away. I can laugh at it now but then I was like WTF people!

    Also hope your headaches get fixed man. That shit can be a bitch to work through. My wife has chronic migraines especially during points of weather change. Not fun. It can be excrutiating and debilitating. Hope it's not that for you!

    Alright peace! Keep going strong and writing!

    Ninja

    ReplyDelete