Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Round 3: Day 55 - P90X Chest, Shoulders, & Triceps

Swans lose to Bulldogs again at Manuka or wherever. Every year (except last year when we were awful) we win the same games and lose the same games. I don't know about other clubs, but does it feel like your team is playing the same fixture year after year after year? How about mixing it up a bit. Do the Swans have to play St Kilda round one every year? Do we have to play the Bulldogs up in Canberra every year? Anyway, thrashed by Geelong, then thrashed by the Bulldogs. No good after all.
I bought a nice motorcycle jacket on the weekend. I went to a nearby shop with what I wanted in mind, and they were about $350. A bit steep, and they didn't have my size anyway. They never do. Apparently I'm an XXXL here. Nothing I wear fits me. So I went home and checked it out on the internet, and picked one up for about $200. I will get in in the next day or so. How can shops stay in business? I'll put up a photo when I get it.
Yesterday Will and I cleaned my motorbike. First time in the nearly two years I've had it. It was surprisingly clean to begin with.
Ages ago I told Will he could have a ride on the bike with me when he's five, and he reminded me of that yesterday when we were soaping up the bike. A kid with a memory is a scary thing.
I had a parent moment with him yesterday. When we were cleaning the bike and the water was rolling along the gutter, we noticed it was being blocked by something. It was a small, dead bird. Will was curious. I told him it was dead, hesitantly, but he doesn't know what that means, so I said he was sick and having a rest. He poked it a little, and he asked me if it would feel better tomorrow. I said yes, and I picked it up (something I have never done - I hate touching dead things) and put it on the grass. We'll let him sleep, I said, and I bet when you go to school tomorrow morning, he'll be gone and flying around with his friends. He liked that, and left it alone. He had another look as we cleaned up, and he asked me about it last night after dinner, so after he went to bed I went outside, and using my phone as a light, found it and tossed it into our neighbour's yard (no-one lives there). I'm sure he checked this morning, and it makes me feel good that he will think the bird has woken up and is flying around. He doesn't need to know that everything that lives dies, not yet.
Tomorrow I'm applying for a job in Melbourne. I've applied for three jobs at this place over the years, so maybe third time lucky? I was talking to the guy I work with here, and he said that if I say in my cover letter that I am willing to come down to Australia for an interview, then they will more than likely avoid giving me an interview because if they asked me to come down for an interview then it would place enormous obligation on them to give me the job, and they would rather avoid the whole thing. I would be better off to say that I just happen to be coming down for a friend's wedding in early June and would be able to pop-in for an interview on this day. Thing is, I'm not. So I have to say I am coming down, and then be totally prepared to buy a ticket and get down there if they ask me for an interview. Then if I actually get the job, well... we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. It would be a nice problem to have. But, like me dad used to tell me before every job interview, don't be too disappointed if you don't get it. The money isn't great, about $15,000 a year less than what I earn now, but the job certainly has more prospects than the one I have now. It does suck that age has become an issue in any interview I have from now on, and that if I do get the job, I will be earning a fraction of what my friends the same age are earning, but hey. Are they any happier? ... They look happier.

2 comments:

  1. No one is really ever completely happy.... remember, the grass is always greener on the other side. You need to work out what will make you happy, youre only in this life once, go after what you want! Good luck, I will rule over our father and say " you are going to be great, just be yourself"! XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a real interesting story with Will. I dunno how I'll handle it when Eli is confronted with death (or geez... sex) and I have to answer his questions. I'd like to think I could be honest with him but... as you point out... there's something for sparing a child's innoccence with the world for as long as we can. Enough time in their lives to learn about how sad things can really be.

    Good luck with the application! I know exactly what you mean about comparing yourself with your friends in terms of 'happiness' and professional progress. It's human nature I think to wonder if we measure up to others. Ultimately, though, it's only your happiness you need to be concerned about and whether or not it can be achieved in the parameters you've set out for yourself.

    If you earn less, but are back home with family being closer and in a culture you can truly feel at home in, with opportunities for the kids to have things experiences they currently can't have, wouldn't that be worth the trade in terms of finances?

    I also get what you mean about age dictating certain aspects of your professional life. It stinks but there's nothing to be done about it as there will always be younger up and comers (who may or may not be cheaper to hire). But you'll be heads and shoulders above them in terms of experience. You can't purchase time or the wisdom it affords.

    Peace out and I hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete