Sunday, April 17, 2011

Round 6 Preliminary Thoughts

On Monday I start Round 6. And I'm going to stop putting crap into my body. And by crap,I mean cans of coffee, cakes, doughnuts, and chips.
This round will consist of an eight day cycle, which consists of two 8 km runs, two Insanity workouts, two resistance workouts, a Yoga or Stretch, and a rest day. I hope to lose a couple of kgs, because I am now at 84, the heaviest I have ever been.
I couldn't do the 15 km run, which was disappointing, but oh well. I did 13 km a few weeks ago, which is something I never thought I would do, or even wanted to do. But this time I gave up after 6 kms. My hips had been aching all week, they were aching a little when I was running, and I was scared of what another 9 km was going to do to them. I'm not a young man anymore, and it's becoming clear that my hips are going to be an issue as I get older. They pop a lot when I move my leg outwards as if I'm getting out of a car. After walking a lot, they pop easily and painlessly and it doesn't ache, but when I'm inactive, they pop harder, and it doesn't feel any better. It's not really an issue at the moment. I think the worst thing I can do is stop exercising. But they will always be an issue, and if I need hip transplants when I'm sixty, I'll do it. But in the meantime I'll get some fish oil tablets, multi vitamins, and go easy with the running. I don't think the running is causing the problem. It's probably more the poor posture and hours and hours sitting down in front of a computer at work. My back and shoulders gradually get pulled out of shape which puts pressure on my hip joints. I might get a massage next pay day to sort it out.
The Masters was weird. The guy who won it played awesome. What's him name, Swartzel or something, will join that guy who won the Open and the other guy who won a major last year as someone you'll never hear of again.Jason Day was great, but boy he has to learn to calm down when he's in contention. He was amped. I think Adam Scott was just relieved he didn't choke. Tiger hit the shots, but like just about every Masters since '05, if he had putted well, he would have won it. I thought when he knocked it to six foot on 15 for eagle, I thought 'he's done it. He's going to win.' But he missed. Then missed the putt on sixteen. Then it didn't matter. And I was really pissed off with his interview afterward. The guy asked the perfect question - "Do you think you played well enough to win the Masters?" His answer, "We'll see." The guy tried again, giving Tiger the chance to reflect on his round, how he feels being in contention again, his life, his golf, and all he got was that shit. "We'll see" and "You never know." I'm not sure if it's just a superstar being guarded about what he says, like he's been burned by the press, or maybe he's afraid something will be misconstrued or something. But I'm beginning to think he's incapable of reflection, just an empty man who can only talk in competitive, never-show-weakness terms. His demeanor on the course reminds me so much of Greg Norman in the late 90's. Bored of losing. Going through the motions. Cynical. He'll end up like Norman, too. Unpopular, a businessman, divorcing his wife after a fight and marrying the next woman he lusts after. Excited more by his golf course architecture business and vineyard more than playing competitive golf. Never looking at anyone while on the course. Just looking off into the distance, looking bored, pissed off. You know why people love Phil Mickelson? He seems to actually enjoy playing golf, and he actually seems to appreciate that people come out to watch him play. It's no wonder they hate each other.
Swannies did it again. 3 games, 2 wins and a draw. 3 thrillers. Cats this week. I can't remember the last time we beat the Cats, probably the Prelim when Davis went crazy in the last five minutes in '05, and I doubt we can do it this year, either. But the Swans are an amazing team, and it looks like another year in the finals. We are spoiled as supporters.

No comments:

Post a Comment